Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

There's a new chef in town!

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM
  • 15 Replies
Up until recently, my DH was the main cook. I can cook but he's better at it and enjoys it. I have enough chores to do. Well, he took a new job that puts him not getting home until about 6pm. So, momma had to step up. Only problem is I work a full time job too. On top of that our son goes to bed between 7 and 730. At first, I was intimidated. How do I feed my family with this time crunch without resorting to pizza and drive thrus? Here's what I've come up with. I plan 2-3 slow cooker recipes, 1 freezer meal, 1 "less than 30 min" meal, 1 leftover night and 1 "out to eat" night (usually Friday or Saturday). All Recipes, Big Oven, Taste of Home and this group have become my best friends. Searching for recipes and thinking of adaptations I could make has become my new hobby. At this moment, I have dinner for the next two weeks planned. What I first thought was going to be another burdensome chore has become a passion.

Do you have a similar story? How do you fit a heathy, home cooked meal into your hectic life? I'm always looking for another tip.
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thickmamaof2
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I get off work at 7 and my hubby has no idea how to cook. So we do allot of casseroles, and crock pot meals. Or we just put some chicken breast in the pan with herbs and seasonings and pan fry. With a side of rice and veggies.
Cealleigh
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I haven't made too many casseroles. What are a couple of your family's favorites? Do they freeze well?

Quoting thickmamaof2:

I get off work at 7 and my hubby has no idea how to cook. So we do allot of casseroles, and crock pot meals. Or we just put some chicken breast in the pan with herbs and seasonings and pan fry. With a side of rice and veggies.

thickmamaof2
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM
We make tator tot casserole, Doritos casserole, and chicken spaghetti casserole. I've never tried freezing them. I just throw it together real quick when I get home.

Quoting Cealleigh:

I haven't made too many casseroles. What are a couple of your family's favorites? Do they freeze well?

Quoting thickmamaof2:

nermall1102
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

One of my favorite food sites is www.readyseteat.com. Oh and www.food.com. Also Kraft food website is a great one too. I'm sure I can come up with some things to help. I love love planning menus etc and creating recipes. Feel free to pm me and I'll see what I can do to help.

periwinkle163
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

That's awesome that you found a way to make it work!

KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Good for you!!  That's great that you are enjoying it now!

KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I don't have any tips for you...sounds like you've got it figured out.  :)

Whenever I am pressed for time I like to use my crock pot.

Cealleigh
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I'll have to check out those sites. Thanks.

Quoting nermall1102:

One of my favorite food sites is www.readyseteat.com. Oh and www.food.com. Also Kraft food website is a great one too. I'm sure I can come up with some things to help. I love love planning menus etc and creating recipes. Feel free to pm me and I'll see what I can do to help.

nermall1102
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM

you are very welcome. if you want or need any help, i would be happy to help.

Quoting Cealleigh:

I'll have to check out those sites. Thanks.

Quoting nermall1102:

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

That's great. Meal planning is a life saver.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)