Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Homemade Potato Chips

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 18 Replies
My DH and I went out to eat Saturday night (without the kids!!! Yay!!! Lol!) and for an appetizer we had homemade potato chips with a creamy barbecue dipping sauce. It was divine!!

I would love to try and make this at home but I have never made homemade potato chips. For those of you that have made these at home, are there any tricks that I need to know? Can I bake the chips in the oven or would they not turn out the same?
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Yes you can bake them. They normally don't get as crispy though. Make sure you oil the pan and don't forget to flip them. I always spritz them with a bit of oil or salt water when I flip.
Momof5Boys610
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Great, thanks! Are they soggy?

Quoting OliviaW.:

Yes you can bake them. They normally don't get as crispy though. Make sure you oil the pan and don't forget to flip them. I always spritz them with a bit of oil or salt water when I flip.

OliviaW.
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM
They can be but if you cut them thinly not so much. You just have to make sure you flip them. You can fry them in a skillet too. Just some oil and thinly sliced potatoes.

Quoting Momof5Boys610:

Great, thanks! Are they soggy?

Quoting OliviaW.:

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I have made them, but I fried them in oil. You need to get them as thin as you can for them to really get crispy. If you have a mandolin, I'd use that. Also, if you fry them, don't crowd the pan/pot too much, because it will bring down the temp of the oil. I'd do smaller batches. May be different in a deep fryer, which j don't have.
Momof5Boys610
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep, I planned on using a mandolin to slice the potatoes. I dont have a deep fryer either. I really do try not to fry things, but these chips were SO good!

Quoting jjamom:

I have made them, but I fried them in oil. You need to get them as thin as you can for them to really get crispy. If you have a mandolin, I'd use that. Also, if you fry them, don't crowd the pan/pot too much, because it will bring down the temp of the oil. I'd do smaller batches. May be different in a deep fryer, which j don't have.

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you checked out youtube for a video? You can find loads of cooking vids on there-that might help.

Momof5Boys610
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
No I havent, but thank you for the suggestion. I may try that! ;-)

Quoting ZsMommy:

Have you checked out youtube for a video? You can find loads of cooking vids on there-that might help.

KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I've never made my own chips.  They sound great though.  Good luck if you try to make them!  Let us know how they turn out.

Momof5Boys610
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I will, thanks!

Quoting KamsOne:

I've never made my own chips.  They sound great though.  Good luck if you try to make them!  Let us know how they turn out.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I have a vegetable slicer that came with my dehydrator. It slices potatoes paper thin. I warn you, a medium russet potato makes a ton of potato chips.

If you're baking, use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season very lightly because they are very thin. I started with the oven on 400F and the edges browned too quickly and the center was soft. I turned the oven down to 300F and they cooked more evenly with the center browning & crispy. Depending on how wet your potatoes are, the cooking time varies from 12 to 17 min.

I also fried some. Very fast. 375F for 2-3 min. We could not tell the difference ... except the baked ones had better seasoning.

Tip: Pile the sliced ones in a strainer so the potatoes are draining all the while. You don't want them sitting in liquid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)