Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

So has anyone tried the Cauliflower Crust pizza?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

Or the garlic "bread" that's floating all around Pinterest?

If you have-what's your verdict?

Would a non veggie lover like myself (I know I know-I eat very little-I'm trying to expand (or least "hide" the veggies) actually think this tastes like a dough and not a veggie?

How's the texture?

Doesn't it smell like cauliflower as you bake it?

I came across this recipe-I might be brave enough to try,but was curious if anyone had any feedback on the Cauliflower crust recipes.

Thanks

Cauliflower Crust Garlic Breadsticks

Serves 2 to 4

1/4 of a large fresh head of cauliflower (about 5 1/2 oz/160 g)

1 teaspoon olive oil

2 cloves garlic, grated or minced

1 large egg, lightly beaten

4 oz mozzarella cheese, freshly grated and divided (low-fat cheese is fine)

1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning, divided

1 pinch each salt and pepper

Cooking spray

Marinara sauce, for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper so that the excess paper hangs over the sides; lightly spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.

To “rice” the cauliflower, grate it on a cheese grater; you should have about 1 1/2 cups (lightly packed) of riced cauliflower.  Put the riced cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave (uncovered) until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally (don’t add water or anything else); cool slightly.  While the cauliflower cooks, heat the oil in a small skillet over low heat; add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring constantly; cool slightly.

To the bowl with the softened cauliflower, add the garlic, egg, 3/4 of the cheese (reserving 1/4 for topping later), 1/4 teaspoon of the dried Italian herb seasoning (reserving 1/4 teaspoon for topping later), and a pinch of salt and pepper.  Stir to combine and then spread in the prepared loaf pan.

Bake until the loaf is set and starting to turn golden, about 30 minutes.  Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper; use the parchment paper to lift the loaf out of the loaf pan and carefully flip it over onto the lined baking sheet (so the bottom is on top).  Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.

Preheat the broiler.  Cut the loaf cross-wise into 8 pieces.  Slightly separate the pieces and sprinkle the cheese on top along with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning.  Broil a couple minutes until the cheese is melted and golden in spots.  Serve hot or warm.  (If you let it cool for about 10 minutes after taking it out of the oven, the crust will harden a bit so it’s easy to hold like a thin-crust pizza.)

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM

DH hates cauliflower so we havent even tried. I try to mix it with mashed potatoes. I cannot taste it but he always knows its in there.

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

DH hates cauliflower so we havent even tried. I try to mix it with mashed potatoes. I cannot taste it but he always knows its in there.

See-I can tell textures and smells real easy when it comes to veggies (I do eat some-but not things like cauliflower,broccoli,etc-the "healthier" veggies-I kinda stick to salad veggies) so I'm really wondering how the texture is on this

According to the person who created this breadstick version-their SO tried it and (Quote)
admitting that it actually did taste like bread. (And he is one tough critic.)

KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I haven't seen it or tried it.  Sounds interesting.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I make it! The kids love it! It is quite scented while baking and it does have a mild cauliflower taste, but it is not overpowering if you have good pizza sauce and toppings..... I got a super picky veggie eater to down 3 slices.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I have never tried it, but my cousin did a few months ago. She posted on FB about it (we live on opposite sides of the country). Apparently her two sons picked up on the difference immediately and were not happy about it, lol.
ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Scented from the seasonings or that distinct cauliflower scent comes through?

Does your picky veggie eater typically turn their nose up @ cauliflower?

Quoting SuperPickle:

I make it! The kids love it! It is quite scented while baking and it does have a mild cauliflower taste, but it is not overpowering if you have good pizza sauce and toppings..... I got a super picky veggie eater to down 3 slices.

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jjamom:

I have never tried it, but my cousin did a few months ago. She posted on FB about it (we live on opposite sides of the country). Apparently her two sons picked up on the difference immediately and were not happy about it, lol.

I'm wondering how a veggie (that all veggies have a fiberous texture to some extent) can pull off the same texture of a dough-Maybe I need someone else to make it for me-cuz if I'm the one making it-my brain is gonna keep going "psst-y'know that's cauliflower" lol

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Quoting SuperPickle:

Do you think if I toss in enough garlic (they used fresh here-I'm thinking of just using that pre chopped jar kind and garlic powder) and italian seasoning I can hide it?

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM

it is a cauliflower scent for sure. The one I got to eat it isnt mine but he is notorious for turning up his nose at ANY veggies.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Scented from the seasonings or that distinct cauliflower scent comes through?

Does your picky veggie eater typically turn their nose up @ cauliflower?

Quoting SuperPickle:

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting SuperPickle:

Do you think if I toss in enough garlic (they used fresh here-I'm thinking of just using that pre chopped jar kind and garlic powder) and italian seasoning I can hide it?

Probably. Garlic is pretty overpowering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)