Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Camping food

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Jen
  • 12 Replies

We are going on our annual rafting trip next weekend and I'm looking for some good food ideas.  We are bringing a grill so we'll be grilling steak and chicken but I'm looking for side dish ideas that don't need refrigeration.  I just don't want to have to bring a bunch of coolers and have to worry about keeping ice in them.

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grandmotherof6
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

just do a search online, you will get some good ideals, I never been camping but I hope to go one day before I die

Midnite00
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:12 AM

camp potatoes with carrots and onions. place in foil with a little oil. Add some seasonings like season salt garlic salt or onion soup mix.  I have even put some broccoli cause my vegetarian daughter asked for some. freeze your meats for extra cooling (use the top first then the bottom for the last days will be the frozen meats.  We use juice bottles for ice cause they last longer.  

Have FUN! 

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Potatoes, throw them on the grill. I usually bring fruit that doesn't need to be kept cold.
KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Oh yum.  I love foil potatoes.  Good idea!

Quoting Midnite00:

camp potatoes with carrots and onions. place in foil with a little oil. Add some seasonings like season salt garlic salt or onion soup mix.  I have even put some broccoli cause my vegetarian daughter asked for some. freeze your meats for extra cooling (use the top first then the bottom for the last days will be the frozen meats.  We use juice bottles for ice cause they last longer.  

Have FUN! 

KamsOne
by Jen on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Good idea on the fruit!  I could just cut it there and make a little fruit salad.

Quoting goddess99:

Potatoes, throw them on the grill. I usually bring fruit that doesn't need to be kept cold.

periwinkle163
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Beans

Midnite00
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM

you know you can grill fruits like pineapples, peaches, pears and apples. Peaches should be a little under ripe so they don't turn to mush.  But then you can grill them in foil lol.  I also take a roll of foil camping can you tell.

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Great ideas!  I know it's not really "cooking", but you could get some of those meals off the shelf.  I just tried the Hormel sandwich-maker BBQ and it was good!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Lots of veggies are good in foil packets. I would just take along some potatoes, broccoli, yellow squash, even onions are good that way. Take canned baked beans, and the 3 bean salad in the jar or can is also pretty good.

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

...beans, beans - the musical fruit

the more you eat, the more you toot!

(Yeah, I know the other one...good for your heart...hahah!)

Quoting periwinkle163:

Beans

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)