giant oatmeal cookie recipeOatmeal cookies have always been a staple in my home, simply because the directions are so easy to follow. Yes, there may be more than a handful of ingredients, but most of them are things you already have in your kitchen. Butter? Check. Sugar? Check. Raisins? Hmm, let me see ... check! (I might be "grown up" now, but you better believe that there will always be a few mini boxes of raisins in the back of my pantry.) And bonus, kids love to help out when cookies are involved! If they're anything like I was, the best part is always licking the dough off the spatula.

Now some people like to diss these fabulously tasty cookies, but I just don't get it. How can you not fall in love with the crunchy-yet-chewy deliciousness that is an oatmeal cookie? Oh, you just don't like raisins? Well apparently there's a solution out there for people who aren't fans of the pruny snacks (and no, the answer isn't to simply take them out). 

oatmeal cookiesNext time you whip up a batch, try and soak the raisins in warm water first so they don't dry out when they're baking. Who knows, this could be the trick that turns you into an oatmeal cookie lover! 

Giant Oatmeal Cookies adapted from Simple Bites

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cups raisins (optional, soak them in warm water for 15-60 mins)
  • 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds (though sometimes I skip this ingredient)
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. With a mixer, beat the butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg on medium speed until smooth.
  3. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix on medium speed until all the ingredients are well combined.
  4. After the raisins have soaked, drain them and pat them dry. Mix the oats, raisins, and sunflower seeds into the dough.
  5. To make "giant" cookies, use a muffin scoop or an ice cream scoop and place the dough balls on the baking sheets. Once you have scooped out all of the dough, lightly tap the individual balls until each is about 1/2 inch thick. Make sure to leave extra space in between the cookies since the dough will spread more than usual! (Optional: For crunchier cookies, lightly coat the dough balls with 2 tablespoons of sugar.) 
  6. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are a very light golden brown color.
  7. Let the cookies cool, and enjoy!