Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week, August 5: Meatloaf

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 2:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

This is the way I usually make mine, but I like to try different ones as well. It's a recipe that has evolved over time. Sometimes I use bread crumbs or cracker crumbs or change the seasonings. I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable, like broccoli or green beans.

Meatloaf

½ cup Quick Oats (not instant)
½ cup ketchup
1 large egg, slightly beaten
½ cup green pepper, finely diced
½ cup celery, finely diced
½ cup onion, finely diced
couple dashes Worstershire
couple dashes soy sauce
1 teaspoon Lawrey’s seasoned salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. ground chuck
Mix all ingredients except meat. Then mix in meat. (I use plastic gloves for this). Form into an oval loaf on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Wet hands and smooth over the meat. This seems to help it hold together. Top with about ½ cup ketchup. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.This can also be baked in a loaf pan, but on a baking sheet pan the grease seems to drain out much better.For a change, use salsa instead of ketchup.

Quick tip: Don't like mixing this my hand, and don't have plastic gloves? Put all the ingredients inside a zip-lock plastic bag and "knead" everything together until thoroughly mixed. Kids like helping with this, too!
How do you make yours?

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:04 AM

We use corn flakes or special k Original for our bread crumbs.   My guy has used bran flakes and i do not need to tell you what happens after that batch is eaten.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I love that tip! I hate mixing it by hand to the extent that sometimes I will try to mix with a spoon ( doesn't work real well, lol). I will have to try this.

I make my meatloaf similar, but use breadcrumbs that I've soaked in milk until they resemble wet beach sand. It keeps it really moist. I also use 1/2 ketchup and 1/2 BBQ sauce for the glaze.
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

You can mix 1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground meat + ingredients in a food processor. If you like corn-fed beef, use cornmeal in place of oats. You can also use flour in place of oats.

The stuffing recipe (1 box stuffing + 2 lbs meat etc) did not work out for me. I had clumps in the meatloaf. Someone told me to use ground beef instead of ground chuck. And ground chicken and not ground turkey.

I made the meatloaf that's suppose to have a couple rows of whole boiled eggs down the center. I replaced the eggs with frozen tater tots. The kids loved it. You can put a couple rows of string cheese or sliced pepper jack down the center. I have a recipe but have not made it where you can put rows of pizza rolls down the center.

The meatloaf where you roll it in panko crumbs was okay. The herb crusted one turned out okay too. (no sauce required)

The one where you add a bunch of finely minced parsley and half can of parmesan etc tasted okay but it was very green!

I'm not a big fan of the mayo toppings but some are pretty good. Same with some of the salad dressing toppings. The kids really like the topping made with tomato paste & apple butter.

The Asian meatloaf that calls for ground pork, peanut butter, ginger, 5 spice/optional, panko crumbs & sweet & sour sauce is yummy!

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

We never have this.

periwinkle163
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Quoting goddess99:

We never have this.

We don't either, it is one dish that I simply can't stomach, luckily my dh isn't a big fan either so I never have to make it.

Kimberly954
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

LOVE this recipe

Ingredients
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 pounds ground beef
3 slices bread, broken up into small pieces
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and mustard powder.
In a separate large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread, onion, egg, bouillon, remaining lemon juice and 1/3 of the ketchup mixture from the small bowl. Mix this well and place in a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour, drain any excess fat, coat with remaining ketchup mixture and bake for 10 more minutes.

momofjkkc
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM
When I did the Pioneer woman recipe it said to mix ingredients together before adding the ground beef. That way the meat doesn't get to worked and come out tough
SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM

That's been my experience as well.

Quoting momofjkkc:

When I did the Pioneer woman recipe it said to mix ingredients together before adding the ground beef. That way the meat doesn't get to worked and come out tough

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM

lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

We use corn flakes or special k Original for our bread crumbs.   My guy has used bran flakes and i do not need to tell you what happens after that batch is eaten.

KamsOne
by Jen on Aug. 8, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I've only ever made meatloaf once in my life.  I can't remember which recipe I used.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)