Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

veggie sides

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 23 Replies

what are your families fav's? i need to add more veggies to our diet but get in a rut!

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

This makes a lot, it's the amounts I use for a large group. The amounts can vary, and you can leave out something you don't like.

Carrot-Raisin Salad

2 1/2 pounds carrots, washed, peeled and grated or finely chopped in food processor
3/4 cup light or regular mayonnaise
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
3/4 cup raisins

In a large mixing bowl, gently combine carrots, mayonnaise, sugar, coconut, pineapple and raisins. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

We really like this.

Broccoli-and-Cauliflower Gratin

8 servings

2 (16 oz) packages fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets
1 ½ cups mayonnaise (can use low-fat if desired)
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (can use low fat)

1 (3 oz) package shredded Parmesan cheese
4 green onions, sliced
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 Tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350. Arrange florets in a steamer basket over boiling wter. Cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well (or steam in microwave.

2. Arrange florets in a lightly greased 2 qt baking dish.

3. Stir together mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients. Spoon over florets, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

4. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

PurpleMimi
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Cut up potatoes in any shape you like and put them on a baking pan,spray them with oil and season with your favorite seasonings. I use salt, pepper, paprika and Mrs Dash's onion and herb seasoning. Spray generously with oil again and heat in the oven on 450 till they are crisp. You could also top with cheese.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Our favs are broccoli, green beans, corn on the cob, potatoes done several different ways.

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My father used to make this. He's gone now but everytime someone mentions this salad, I think of him. He added apples to his.

Quoting SweetLuci:

This makes a lot, it's the amounts I use for a large group. The amounts can vary, and you can leave out something you don't like.

Carrot-Raisin Salad

2 1/2 pounds carrots, washed, peeled and grated or finely chopped in food processor
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup raisins

In a large mixing bowl, gently combine carrots, mayonnaise, sugar, coconut, pineapple and raisins. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

What a nice memory. In winter I add apples sometimes, too.

Quoting newwifenmom:

My father used to make this. He's gone now but everytime someone mentions this salad, I think of him. He added apples to his.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Carrot-Raisin Salad

1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup raisins

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Sweet and sour green beans are really good.

Green beans

Sweet Onion

Bacon 3-4 strips

Brown Sugar

White Vinegar

You cook your green beans the way you like them. Then fry some bacon, I use turkey. You remove the bacon reserving enough grease to sautee your onions in. When onions are done, you add your brown sugar and vinegar then add green beans and crumbled bacon.

Kimberly954
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I do potatoes all the time. Trying to get away from that.....

Quoting PurpleMimi:

Cut up potatoes in any shape you like and put them on a baking pan,spray them with oil and season with your favorite seasonings. I use salt, pepper, paprika and Mrs Dash's onion and herb seasoning. Spray generously with oil again and heat in the oven on 450 till they are crisp. You could also top with cheese.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM

my girls so far only like sweet peas, mashed potatoes and carrots..thats progress for them though.

PurpleMimi
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM

My kids like carrots. I put them in a casserole dish with butter and brown sugar. They are so good! Sometimes I don't have brown sugar so I just use sugar or honey instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)