Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

cabbage

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 17 Replies

Whats a good way to make it? I have never made it before.

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I love making cabbage and noodles.  Or you make cole slaw with it.   Or you can make stuffed cabbage rolls.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have never made cabbage before, this is a simple, fast, and easy way to give it a try.

Remove the scroungy outer leaves. Use a sharp knife and cut around the core. Remove the core. Toss a tsp of seasoning into the core hole. (seasoning could simply be salt, salt & pepper, or Italian blend, etc). Next - fill the core with butter or margarine or evoo. Set the cabbage core side up in a pot and add 1 cup of water. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15-20 min. Lower the heat and continue cooking for 30 min. The butter & seasonings should be melted and absorbed into the cabbage leaves. Place onto a platter, cut into quarters, and serve with your meal.

You can just as easily cook this in the microwave using a bowl and cover. Use 1/4 cup water. Cook on full power for 10 min and then on 50% power for 15 min.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM
My mom used to slice it and fry it with onions. Very yummy!

She also used to boil it with a little sugar, salt and pepper and I think she threw a piece of bacon in there too.

Cole slaw, just shred cabbage and carrots, add mayo, salt, pepper, celery seed. Some people add vinegar (depends how you like yours).
jjamom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Oh yes, cut the cabbage in half and then into quarters and remove the heart (which us somewhat hard (maybe fibrous?) and discard.
KamsOne
by Jen on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I've never cooked cabbage before...except to use it in pancit.

MixedCooke
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally LOVE stuffed cabbage.  you steam it until the leaves are pliable and then fill it with a meat mixture, layer it in a deep pot, add a can of tomaotes and some broth and cook it for about an hour or so and done!

jessi2girls
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:09 AM

my mom always make saurkraut with her cabbage. 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Braised Cabbage

2 tablespoons bacon fat or unsalted butter

1/2 medium head green cabbage, cored and chopped (about 4 cups)

½ cup chicken stock or broth

1 sprig thyme or sprinkle of dried thyme(optional)

Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. In a large sauté pan heat bacon fat over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and sauté until it begins to wilt, about 5 minutes. Then add the chicken broth, thyme, salt, and pepper.

2. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until cabbage is tender, 15-20 minutes . Serves 4 to 6.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM

This original recipe is from Mickey Gilley's Texas Cookbook. My family loves it.

Cowpoke Cabbage
1 small head cabbage, shredded or chopped
1 cup water
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup cracker crumbs
Place cabbage and water in saucepan. Cook until tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in another saucepan. Mix in flour. Cook while stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Add milk and cook about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally . Drain cabbage and place in casserole dish. Pour cheese, then white sauce over cabbage. Top with crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes or till cabbage is bubbling around edges.

AspensMama1537
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
http://www.wholefoodmommies.com/Home/RecipeView?rid=aae7cc05-063e-4c5b-885e-f21cd5945350

This is my new favorite way to eat it! So yummy and healthy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN