Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Can anyone explain this to me,please

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

What is this Quinoa craze everyone on Pinterest seems to be on?

I get it's real healthy,but does it taste good?

What's the texture similar to?

I was almost brave enough to try some pre-seasoned (it was a garlic & herb style) quinoa-til I saw the package was $4 and change.

Please-anyone-fill me in-is this stuff truly worth trying???

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish my family liked it, but they don't. Don't like the texture or the taste. Very bland, a bit like brown rice, a bit nutty, crunchy. You really have to add things to it to make it edible, imho.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

It does taste good. But it's more expensive than rice and it's kind of similar.

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

I wish my family liked it, but they don't. Don't like the texture or the taste.

Texture is similar to....???

Tastes like....????

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I should add I cooked mine with other stuff so it took on that flavor. I've not tried it "plain".

Quoting goddess99:

It does taste good. But it's more expensive than rice and it's kind of similar.

mama_l
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
It tastes very nutty and has a texture similar to couscous. It's good, not great, but good.
SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Cous cous or brown rice is the closest I can come up with. Nutty, a bit crunchy.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Tastes like....????

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM

See this is where I get confused. I love cous cous-but cous cous isn't crunchy. So would you say if I'm not a fan of brown rice (which I'm not-I've tried,but I'll stick to Jasmine rice) I probably wouldn't like it?

Quoting SweetLuci:

Cous cous or brown rice is the closest I can come up with. Nutty, a bit crunchy.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Tastes like....????

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Not sure. It's like saying if I like rice will I like pasta. Try it and see.

Quoting ZsMommy:

See this is where I get confused. I love cous cous-but cous cous isn't crunchy. So would you say if I'm not a fan of brown rice (which I'm not-I've tried,but I'll stick to Jasmine rice) I probably wouldn't like it?

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Tastes like....????

jjamom
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I have only had it in a few frozen meals I have had. I liked the texture if it (sort of firm, so something to bite into). I have never tried to make it as a side, though, because I don't think my picky family would care much for it. Although I know it is supposed to be a super- healthy alternative to rice.
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Quoting ZsMommy:

What is this Quinoa craze everyone on Pinterest seems to be on?

I get it's real healthy,but does it taste good?

What's the texture similar to?

I was almost brave enough to try some pre-seasoned (it was a garlic & herb style) quinoa-til I saw the package was $4 and change.

Please-anyone-fill me in-is this stuff truly worth trying???

It's for India vegetable meals. If that is not how you are planning to use it, you will be disappointed. It is not low in calories. All food has some nutrition but this is not as healthy as they say.

Looks like a little box? It makes a lot. I would suggest making 1/4 cup dry following the box instruction. That makes about 4 big servings. It taste okay and the birdseed texture melts in your mouth.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)