Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Do your kids buy lunch or bring lunch to school?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 16 Replies

If they bring lunch, what are some of your go-to things to pack?

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

We always pack home lunch. Our school lunches are garbage. 

My boys prefer a hot lunch so we have thermoses and pack homemade hot pockets, burritos, leftovers from dinner, chili....of course there is always the standard sandwiches and wraps....

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM

My kids don't care what's packed in their homemade lunch as long as they do not have to spend half their lunch time standing in line. I pack a variety of things in their lunch because they will have time to eat it. Best of all, I pack a napkin! That's the most feed back that I get ... napkins, spoons, straw ... etc. Oh yeah! and that their lunch tote does not stink!

Kimberly954
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I pack because she is in preschool but she just started 2 days a week at a preschool at an elementary school and she is DYING to buy lunch. So on special days I will let her buy.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Buys lunch every day.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I plan on packing her lunches.. dh disagrees.. he thinks she should buy it. I want her to have a healthy lunches everyday.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

She hates the school lunches, and after having lunch with her, I agree. We pack a lunch. She likes chili or homemade soup in a thermos, or other leftovers. Sometimes a salad. Homemade lunchables is also a hit. Plus fruit. Peanut butter and jelly on banana bread or cream cheese on zucchini bread. I either write a not on her napkin or put in a comic I've clipped out of the paper. Bento boxes are fun also.

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

We are packing this year, we do a lot of sandwiches, wraps, and salads.

KamsOne
by Jen on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

DD brings a lunch.  Sandwiches, bagels, spaghettios, pasta, soup...these are the usual things she brings.  Sometimes chicken nuggets or salad.  I give her fruit and veggies for snacks, yogurt, pirate booty.

rhiannonaisling
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I do bento-ish lunches for my son (he has chewing, swallowing and sensory issues) when the school serves stuff he is allergic to. Cold tacos are a favorite. Tortillas are cut into small strips with the  meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole and sour cream all mixed together in a separate container and then he can make his own...anything resembling a lunchables is always really popular. We do carrots cut into 1/2 bite size pieces (he loves carrots but bite size is two big because of how hard they are), grapes, sliced bananas, orange wedges, sliced apples, broccoli, halfed cherry or grape or pear tomatoes. Pb&j "tea" sandwiches are really popular, any cold leftovers or soups and popcorn are also popular. And 1  or 2 small candies or cookies, etc.

rhiannonaisling
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Why not do 2 days buy and three days make for a couple of weeks and let her decide which she prefers. Then dh can't really complain since she tried both...and the thing is school lunches (at least in most states) have to meet certain standards for health and as a result are usually pretty bad since they also (for safety reasons) have to cut certain other foods out entirely...

Quoting mylilprincesses:

I plan on packing her lunches.. dh disagrees.. he thinks she should buy it. I want her to have a healthy lunches everyday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)