Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

What do I do with my 3 year old?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 23 Replies
Every meal goes like this....Mom I'm starving starving starving. Breakfast and lunch are her choices for the most part (i give her options). Dinner she gets what the family gets. But she doesn't eat at any meal. An hour later, back to starving starving starving. I make her wait until the next meal if its between breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I will give her a snack around 3. But still wont eat with the family. An hour after going to bed, she's starving again. Most days I make her wait until breakfast. I want her to eat when we sit down to eat! So......this has been going on awhile. She is missing WAY too many meals. She is almost 4 and super skinny so she cannot afford to not eat her meals. I feel bad when she is in tears because she is sooooo hungry at night. But literally we JUST got up from the table and she wouldn't take a single bite!!! Making her wait until the next meal isn't working. All she wants is snacks. What do I do??
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM
My kids go through this too. Normally I just put the meals they missed back infront of them. Usually they eat it.
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM

i have learned with my 3yr old (the hyper one) she won't sit still to eat.. i let her eat at her own pace.. how close is the snack time to supper?

Momof5Boys610
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Have you tried the kids nutrition shakes? Like Pediasure Sidekicks? If she won't eat food at least you know she's getting some nutrition from the shakes. I'm not saying this is a long term solution but it could help maybe for her to have one of the shakes right before bedtime.

Also, maybe it might help her to eat meals with the family if you let her help decide what you guys eat for dinner. Let her help you prepare a meal and maybe she would be more apt to eat it.
ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I get every parent has their own way. Personally I wouldn't force her to have to wait so long if she skipped dinner as a sit down. Would she eat before,or after or in another room? She's 3,she needs food. I really do understand the point you are trying to teach but at that age honestly I'd be more concerned with making sure she eats rather than 'when" she eats.Not judging-just saying I couldn't send a hungry child to bed to have to wait til breakfast just because she wasn't hungry at the designated time of dinner.

Kimberly954
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM
she goes to bed immediately after dinner.....she gets up, brushes her teeth, we read her a book and she is in bed by 6pm. And I do feel bed at night but she is starting to not want ANY meals, just snacks.
Quoting ZsMommy:

I get every parent has their own way. Personally I wouldn't force her to have to wait so long if she skipped dinner as a sit down. Would she eat before,or after or in another room? She's 3,she needs food. I really do understand the point you are trying to teach but at that age honestly I'd be more concerned with making sure she eats rather than 'when" she eats.Not judging-just saying I couldn't send a hungry child to bed to have to wait til breakfast just because she wasn't hungry at the designated time of dinner.

rmp
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I would check out whole foods for supplemental powdered shakes for kids that contain veggies and vitamins and make her smoothies , freeze pops and ice cubes with protein safe for kids. Whole Foods also has liquid vitamins which is way better than vitamin pills. Sometimes those will make kids get their appetite back or be hungry at meal times. Good Luck!

mrs.Emm1
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Your post said she gets up an hour after going to bed & she's "starving" - can't she eat then?  I agree with ZsMommy, I'd just let her eat "whenever" - I wouldn't care about having her follow rules. Kids change all the time, she'll learn. 

Quoting Kimberly954:

she goes to bed immediately after dinner.....she gets up, brushes her teeth, we read her a book and she is in bed by 6pm. And I do feel bed at night but she is starting to not want ANY meals, just snacks.
Quoting ZsMommy:

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM

At age 3 she's more likely a "grazer" style eater. Give it a year or two and she may be ready for a full sit down,but as I said before,I'm not judging.

But for myself I would prefer a child each a bunch of small meals than be hungry because they didn't choose/couldn't sit still for a full sit down meal.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Quoting ZsMommy:

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

At that age my dd was similar. I would let her snack but it was a pb sandwich or apple w/pb, salami chunks w/crackers and string cheese ~ lunch type snacks.

Momof5Boys610
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
If she goes to bed at 6 p.m., what time does she get up in the morning? Just curious. :-D

Quoting Kimberly954:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)