Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

How do you cook a really tasty...

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 29 Replies

HAM?

I don't eat pork and never cooked a ham. But my mom has been in the hospital for a while and may be getting out this week. She is still not herself though and I wanted to have some things cooked for her and my stepdad when they got home to make it easier on them. She has a ham and a few other things in her freezer that I wanted to cook.

So any ham tips, dos, don'ts? Old family recipes?

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I just put it in the crockpot. Ham is pretty tasty as it is! :) Is it already cooked or not?

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Its not cooked

Quoting Kimberly954:

I just put it in the crockpot. Ham is pretty tasty as it is! :) Is it already cooked or not?

mojogirl
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

This is the recipe I use.  I add about double the brown sugar and then toss in some spices to taste to the "gravy" after the ham is removed.  Always turns out good.

Slow Cooker Ham Recipe

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

All hams are cured & fully cooked. How you cook it depends on the type of ham that it is ... whole ham, half, spiral cut, dinner ham, boneless or bone-in. Check out the label and let us know. You need to thaw it.

gmadiane
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I make a brown sugar and butter glaze and slow cook in the oven they also cook nice in a crock pot

jjamom
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM
If it us a whole ham, I glaze it with brown sugar and pineapple juice and cook it for about 15 mins per lb on 350*.

If it is a spiral sliced ham, however, they dry out very quickly, so they don't need to cook nearly as long. You may even want to just heat it up by the slice.
periwinkle163
by Mandy on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I would use the crockpot.

WheelerWife
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Every ham I have purchased has had cooking instructions on it. I'd check those out first. :)

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
One time I had a ham baked in maple syrup, that was really good.
Kimberly954
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, not all. We kill our own wild hogs on occassion and those hams are not precooked! :)

Quoting DissieDothe:

All hams are cured & fully cooked. How you cook it depends on the type of ham that it is ... whole ham, half, spiral cut, dinner ham, boneless or bone-in. Check out the label and let us know. You need to thaw it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)