Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My grandson has multiple food allergies - NEED HELP!!!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 17 Replies

Found out this summer that my 9-yr-old grandson has a real mess of food allergies making for a nightmare for my daughter, mother to 3. He has always been a picky eater so having about 90% of the foods he did like yanked from his diet has been just horrible for him - and her. Some of his allergies include: MILK, SOY, RICE, OATS, CORN (seems most prepared foods have corn in some form in it), MANY VEGGIES (including TOMATOES - taking ketchup out of the picture..).

I have pledged to them I would do all I could to find resources on the internet - websites, social media - WHATEVER - to try to  help both of them. She homeschools all of her children and now the time she has to spend in the kitchen to invent food combinations - even condiments - is really overwhelming. Can anybody help with the name of groups on cafemom or websites? Thank you so much!!

Laura B

Ahhhhh Mama was a great time but Grandma/Nanna ROCKS!!!!

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM

What about something like this? Can he have pasta, potatoes?

Dijon Chicken

Dijon Chicken

Mustard adds a little zing to moist chicken breasts served over quick-cooking orzo.

• Prep Time 40 min
  • Total Time 40 min
  • Servings 4

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/4 lb)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/3 cups uncooked orzo pasta (8 oz)
Chopped fresh parsley, if desired
  • 1 Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 11x7-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place chicken in baking dish.
  • 2 In small bowl, mix remaining ingredients except pasta and parsley. Spread mustard mixture over chicken to coat thoroughly.
  • 3 Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.
  • 4 Meanwhile, cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Garnish chicken with parsley. Serve with pasta.

WyoArmyMom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Not sure about the orzo byt I think he would try it! The sauce is siomething that could become a condiment for Mom's homemade chicken fingers & other things. Am passing this on to her! Thank you...yum-yum :)

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Hope it works out. I found it on the Betty Crocker site.

Quoting WyoArmyMom:

Not sure about the orzo byt I think he would try it! The sauce is siomething that could become a condiment for Mom's homemade chicken fingers & other things. Am passing this on to her! Thank you...yum-yum :)

Groove
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up vegan soy free recipes. Or paleo soy free recipes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WyoArmyMom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Was advised of the paleo diet - is great! Will try looking for soy-free. Thanks for that thought!

Groove
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I'm soy free bc I'm allergic to it. There are soy free recipes out there.

Quoting WyoArmyMom:

Was advised of the paleo diet - is great! Will try looking for soy-free. Thanks for that thought!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Yikes!  He is allergic to a lot!  

Kimberly954
by Kim on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Wow.....eliminating milk, soy and rice takes out ALL milks and dairy except almond milk. If she cooks from scratch, she can make her own things using almond milk in place of milk. Things are going to have to be really plain. Chicken nuggets should still be ok. I would just make them at home to make sure none of those items are in them.

Kimberly954
by Kim on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Tomato Free Ketchup

1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
1 (16 ounce) can pear halves in natural juice, drained
1 (16 ounce) can sliced carrots, drained
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup white corn syrup (Karo)
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions:

Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth, about 30 seconds.
Store in refrigerator.

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/tomato-free-ketchup-173780?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/tomato-free-ketchup-173780?oc=linkback</a>
Kimberly954
by Kim on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

http://glutenfreedairyfreenj.blogspot.com/2011/07/tomato-free-pasta-sauce-recipe-gluten.html

Tomato free/dairy free pasta sauce

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)