Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Food rut

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

My family is stuck in a food rut we eat the same types of meals all the time. Rice, gravy, meat, and veggies is something we eat alot. Also lots of pasta. I need some new ideas that are budget friendly. Any ideas?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

What about breakfast for dinner? Sausage gravy and biscuits, eggs and bacon and potatoes or grits, Omelettes?

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Pulled pork or BBQ chicken on buns, with coleslaw on the side.  

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Homemade soups like ham & bean or blackbean or chicken vegetable with corn muffins.

katielovesyou21
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

i do that alot too.

Quoting SweetLuci:

What about breakfast for dinner? Sausage gravy and biscuits, eggs and bacon and potatoes or grits, Omelettes?

kksmomma1019
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You can bake a ham and use it for 4 meals...baked ham and sides, ham and hash brown casserole, ham sandwiches, veggie and ham chowder.

Crustless quiche is very cheap and delicious! I usually put spinach and whatever leftovers I have in it...bell pepper, tomato, mushrooms, onion, sausage.

Veggie chowder is one of my favorites because I use up leftover veggies before I go bad...sautée onion, celery and carrot and bell pepper, add in broth and potatoes until tender, throw in cauliflower, broccoli and whatever seasonings(I put in adobe, s&p, parsley, oregano, garlic, everything lol) until tender, then I add milk and cheese.

Leftover chicken diced and made into quesadillas.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I like doing this. Saves a lot of time, and is economical. Also good to do with large cuts of pork or beef. It's also easy to portion in meal size freezer bags and freeze for later. Just a little ham gives a lot of flavor.

Quoting kksmomma1019:

You can bake a ham and use it for 4 meals...baked ham and sides, ham and hash brown casserole, ham sandwiches, veggie and ham chowder.

Crustless quiche is very cheap and delicious! I usually put spinach and whatever leftovers I have in it...bell pepper, tomato, mushrooms, onion, sausage.

Veggie chowder is one of my favorites because I use up leftover veggies before I go bad...sautée onion, celery and carrot and bell pepper, add in broth and potatoes until tender, throw in cauliflower, broccoli and whatever seasonings(I put in adobe, s&p, parsley, oregano, garlic, everything lol) until tender, then I add milk and cheese.

KittyGram
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Try some of the recipes you see in this group; try recipes on the backs of boxes and cans; try new recipes in product ads in magazines; try new food blogs - pioneer woman, tasty kitchen, six sisters stuff; plain chicken....... all very good sites, with "normal" foods, but with a wealth of new suggestions!!! 

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If you cook in bulk and freeze, its REALLY budget friendly!!! i just got 10 lbs of chicken for $10 (often i can get the 10lb bags for $5 on sale but they didnt have any yesterday.) Then i made 4 freezer meals of crockpot garlic chicken. Serve over rice the day of and add a veggie. VERY budget friendly!!!

kksmomma1019
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Yes! I use leftover chicken or salad or wraps and beef roasts for quesadillas or soup.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I like doing this. Saves a lot of time, and is economical. Also good to do with large cuts of pork or beef. It's also easy to portion in meal size freezer bags and freeze for later. Just a little ham gives a lot of flavor.

Quoting kksmomma1019:

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Check out pinterest and allrecipes.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)