Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Is this "gross"?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 30 Replies

We have alligators in our backyard. Someone wants one removed (which my DH can do) but they get killed, not relocated. People in my community hate that they get killed. Sorry, then A. dont feed them so they start not fearing people and B. don't worry about them and let them swim around, we are always going to have gators in our lakes, and C. you shouldnt have moved into a house on a lake in Florida. Anyways, i told one girl who hates that the animal will get killed that if it made her feel any better, the animal does not get wasted. He would go to a processor for meat and skins. And she told me that was "gross". Um......sorry but what do you think they do to cows or chickens or any other animal you eat?!

Would you think thats gross? (I know there are a lot of people in here with hunters in their family....I know they don't think anything of this.)

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Isn't alligator meat considered a specialty at some restaurants? And alligator leather used for expensive shoes/purses?

Failing to see what's gross...I do, however, feel bad for the gators :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Nope I dont find it gross since almost every animal we consume goes through this process.    I understand that after a certain length/weight alligators/crocodiles have to be killed due to the strength that size has.   Are there any gator farms/refuges in florida?

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM

You can't get it at most places. And yes, the leather is used for expensive shoes and purses.

Quoting beadingmom17:

Isn't alligator meat considered a specialty at some restaurants? And alligator leather used for expensive shoes/purses?

Failing to see what's gross...I do, however, feel bad for the gators :(

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Yes there are gator farms but thats what they do too....they raise gators to eventually kill them for the skins.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Nope I dont find it gross since almost every animal we consume goes through this process.    I understand that after a certain length/weight alligators/crocodiles have to be killed due to the strength that size has.   Are there any gator farms/refuges in florida?

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Alligator meat is gross to me but not the fact that the local one was not wasted. Does that make sense? Lol
SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM

No, I don't, but I've lived in Florida many years, and know that one of the biggest problems for alligators are people new to Florida who aren't familiar with them-or usually any wildlife- and feed them...and then wonder why their cute little furball that they let run out to the water suddenly disappeared. Duh.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Why do you think it's gross?

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Alligator meat is gross to me but not the fact that the local one was not wasted. Does that make sense? Lol

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Ah yeah that's gross.

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I wouldn't eat it (I hear the texture of the meat is rubbery-ish) but I don't think it's gross

taKENheart
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I don't find it gross at all and would actually eat it.  I've only tried it once at a restaurant but that was years ago and I don't remember not liking it.  I like trying different meats though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN