Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

About Bay Leaves

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 16 Replies

Here's some info I found online about the bay leaf.  Do you use bay leaves??

http://www.ehow.com/info_8150416_remove-bay-leaves.html

Reason for Discarding

• The bay leaf plays an important role in flavoring your soups or stew, but once the food is ready to serve, it is wise to fish out the leaf and discard it. The reason chefs recommend getting rid of the leaf is not for any health reasons, but because the bay leaf has a bitter flavor when eaten and is difficult to chew. It is purely for the quality and taste of the dish that the leaf is discarded before the meal is served.

Culinary Uses

• The bay leaf may be used in a few ways in the kitchen. Aside from being tossed into a dish alone for added flavor, the bay leaf may be added to a "bouquet garni," which is a small bundle of herbs that are tied together and added to a soup or stew and taken out before serving. Some bouquet garni bundles are wrapped in cheesecloth and tied before being added. Bay leaves can be added to your pickling liquid, in meat or fish marinades, to boiling water to add flavor to shrimp or crab and to milk during the preparation of rice pudding. Remove the bay leaf for each application when it comes time to plate the food and eat.

Non-Culinary Uses

• Like many herbs and plant-based products, bay leaves were once used medicinally, and are still used to treat various aliments in alternative. Some herbalists use bay leaf or its oil for treatment of chest infection, bronchitis, backache, swelling and digestive problems. It is wise to consult your regular doctor before you decide to use bay leaf for any medicinal purpose.

Nutrition

• Bay leaves on their own contain several nutrients that are beneficial to health, although you likely won't receive too much benefit simply from adding a leaf or two to your soup pot. Bay leaves contain iron and manganese, vitamins A and C, and lesser amounts of potassium, magnesium and calcium.

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I have not used bay leaves for seasoning and wanted to find out some info.

dandylynes
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I use them all the time. Probably once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks.
ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Been a while since I used them

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Does it give your dishes a better flavor?

Quoting dandylynes:

I use them all the time. Probably once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I have not used them either but curious about the seasoning.

Quoting ZsMommy:

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Goes well in stews. It's just not one of those spices I keep on hand. It's a very mild flavor.

Quoting delanna6two:

I have not used them either but curious about the seasoning.

Quoting ZsMommy:

KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I love bay leaves and use them all the time.  Mostly in my stews or soups but have used them in other dishes too.  Thanks for the info!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

They're great in beef stew and soups, they need to be in something that's cooking for awhile to bring out the good flavor.

OliviaW.
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I put them in beef stew before but it's been a while.
SyllabaryBisque
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I use them in my beef stew or chicken noodle soup.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)