Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

dyes???

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 14 Replies

dd breaks out around her mouth every time she eats! I cannot pinpoint what it is. i thought at first it was berries. But she breaks out without berries. The only thing i can think of is possibly food dyes - like in ketchup and other dips, places you dont really think of. Is there anything else i could be over looking??? Ugh, dyes are hard to eliminate!! I told someone I dont give my kid dyes....then looked at the ketchup bottle!!!

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Does she react to regular tomatoes?   I used to break out from any tomato product growing up even tomatoes from our garden.  Does she have any pain with the rash?

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM

My kids break out from lettuce....store bought "regular", organic, home grown, red, green, romaine, iceburge.....everything!! It is CRAZY.  Spinach and Kale and other greens are our staple..

Dyes are not too hard to eliminate. My youngest son reacts HORRIBLY to them(especially red 40) so we cut them out years ago.

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I dont know. Like I said, EVERYTIME she eats she breaks out. Some days we have chicken nuggets and ketchup, another day, pbj sandwich and mixed fruits, another day pancakes and syrup, another day cut up veggies with grilled chicken.....and almost everytime she breaks out. I just cannot find the cause!!! I make 90% of stuff from scratch! And no pain with the rash.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Does she react to regular tomatoes?   I used to break out from any tomato product growing up even tomatoes from our garden.  Does she have any pain with the rash?

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM

oh man.  It sounds like time to talk to her doctor and/or see an allergist to see if they can figure it out.

Quoting Kimberly954:

I dont know. Like I said, EVERYTIME she eats she breaks out. Some days we have chicken nuggets and ketchup, another day, pbj sandwich and mixed fruits, another day pancakes and syrup, another day cut up veggies with grilled chicken.....and almost everytime she breaks out. I just cannot find the cause!!! I make 90% of stuff from scratch! And no pain with the rash.

Quoting frndlyfn:

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Could it be the spoons, forks, she's using. Maybe she's allergic to plastic or stainless steal, etc...?

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Quoting goddess99:

Could it be the spoons, forks, she's using. Maybe she's allergic to plastic or stainless steal, etc...?

I was thinking the same and also dish washing soap. Hand soap as well. Could it be napkins, moist wipes, or wash cloth?

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Ugh....see....the items are endless! No on the wipes/washclothes. The rash is there before we "hose her down" after meals. I never thought about plastic or dishsoap but we always use the same dishsoap and some nights the rash is worse than others.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting goddess99:

I was thinking the same and also dish washing soap. Hand soap as well. Could it be napkins, moist wipes, or wash cloth?

gymgirl
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

It could be some sort of food alergy. i would ask her doctor.

Healthy and Fit Forever http://cafemom.com/group/118269

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM

It could be so many things, I would see an allergist.

jjamom
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
It really could be a number of things. Have you tried keeping a food log? It may help narrow things down. If you are able to narrow it, even a bit, you may be able to compare ingredients.

Could it be an acidic rash? My DD when younger would break out around her mouth after eating acidic foods. With ketchup, that could apply.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)