Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Picky! Grrrr

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 13 Replies

My (almost) 4 year old is so picky its driving me nuts!! My 10 month old will eat ANYTHING i put in front of him but with her, she usually refuses to even try her dinner and goes to bed hungry EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. She crys every night that she is hungry (literally as soon as she gets up from the table and it makes me feel so bad) and I would gladly give her a healthy snack before bed if she just tasted her dinner. I understand you won't like everything in front of you, and I try to put things on her plate i KNOW she likes, and if she trys something and then doesnt like it I will make her a sandwich, but she needs to try it first. How can i encourage this? And yes, I have tried saving her dinner for later (or lunch or whatever it is) and she will still just refuse to eat it and then proceed to cry and whine until the next meal is finally served.

I swear she is getting worse too because she used to eat shrimp and grilled chicken and fish and now she wont take a bite of those anymore.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Ignore the cries and whining and dont give in. Dont make it a big deal trying to coax and plead. Say here is your plate and ignore any bad behavior. If she choses not to eat take said plate away after a set amount of time and that is it...It is frustrating but ignore ignore ignore.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Did she do this before? Maybe she is bored with it?
I give up fighting with my 3yr old to eat. She doesn't get but one snack a day.. if she doesn't eat she doesn't care.
Kimberly954
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM

The ONLY issue I have with ignoring and not giving in is she is almost 4 years old and under 30 pounds. She is sooooo skinny. (Not unhealthy thin....I am only 100lbs myself, she just gets her body type from her mama.) But I would hate to see her lose weight and become unheathy thin.

Quoting SuperPickle:

Ignore the cries and whining and dont give in. Dont make it a big deal trying to coax and plead. Say here is your plate and ignore any bad behavior. If she choses not to eat take said plate away after a set amount of time and that is it...It is frustrating but ignore ignore ignore.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

i have the same issue with my 9 year old son. He is barely 45lbs soaking wet. I wanted to shove ANYTHING I could get into that kids mouth. If you dont nip it now it will become a vicious cycle. Barring any health issues of course,  she will not allow herself to starve.

Just offer a healthy variety  and I have found having a very rigid eating schedule(at least until she gets back on track) helps alot. Dont give in to pediasure or sugary "supplement" drinks. Of course a kid would rather have a chocolate milkshake over healthy foods. Dont go overboard on drinks other than water either. Fills them up too quick

Quoting Kimberly954:

The ONLY issue I have with ignoring and not giving in is she is almost 4 years old and under 30 pounds. She is sooooo skinny. (Not unhealthy thin....I am only 100lbs myself, she just gets her body type from her mama.) But I would hate to see her lose weight and become unheathy thin.

Quoting SuperPickle:

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I don't know what else I would do differently. Your doing everything I'd do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Hope things will get better...

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I dunno.  I guess I didn't let my kids whine at 4 years old because they were fully able to understand English.  Have you tried letting her pick her meal, and giving her choices that give it balance?  She'd learn about nutrition, too.

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM

If i let her pick her meal, it would be PBJ or Mac and cheese. I do give her some options at night....like grapes or kiwi. dip or no dip with carrots. Whatever dip she wants with the meat.

Quoting AmosFarkle:

I dunno.  I guess I didn't let my kids whine at 4 years old because they were fully able to understand English.  Have you tried letting her pick her meal, and giving her choices that give it balance?  She'd learn about nutrition, too.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

In dealing with my skinny picky oldest son, I finally took the advice of his babysitter because he started eating at her house. And it worked for me. She put out food at lunch and made no comment about whether he ate it or not. 15 minutes later, she removed it and told him he could leave the table. When he whined that he was hungry she told him it wasn't snack time, and ignored his whining. Then she put out snacks at normal time. She made no comment about whether or not he ate it. It took 3 days for her, a lot longer for me...but it finally worked. It was really hard for me to stop encouraging him to eat and making different things. At this age what they eat is one of the few things they can control.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM

This is really hard to deal with, and I hope you find what works for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)