Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ground Beef thawed since tuesday morning... still good?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 13 Replies

I was cleaning and reorganizing the freezer monday night and without realizing it I left 1lb of ground beef out of the counter. When I woke up tuesday morning and I saw it, it was defrosted but still cold to the touch so I stuck it in the fridge. Anyway, tuesday  and wednesday I didn't get to cook. Today I was planning to make chili with that ground beef but I am having doubts about it. I haven't opened the package but it is well sealed. Do you guys think it is still safe?  

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM
It's usually a safe idea to toss it but if you want to check the meat for odor, differences is texture and color before using. Sometimes meat is still useable if left out overnight but sometimes not.
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I would toss it...the combo of thawed on the counter(which I am leery of to start, especially more than 2-3 hours) paired with the 2 days in the fridge(which thawed properly would be probably be fine too) I would err on the side of caution on this one and toss.

rhiannonaisling
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM

If it smells off or the texture has changed toss it...color is only an indicator if it is gray or green in which case toss it...brown and red are normal due to dyes and the way the dyes settle when the meat is defrosted.

TryingAgain72
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I was thinking the same

Quoting SuperPickle:

I would toss it...the combo of thawed on the counter(which I am leery of to start, especially more than 2-3 hours) paired with the 2 days in the fridge(which thawed properly would be probably be fine too) I would err on the side of caution on this one and toss.

housewifehell
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM

More than likely its fine just smell it ALL meat should not smell if it does its bad if it doesnt smell its fine. I leave tomorrows dinner out on the counter all night almost everytime I am planning something that was frozzen and sometimes it stis in the fridge for up to 4 days we havent ever had an issue with bad meat,

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely throw it away! It didn't thaw properly being on the counter for days.
mamalovesall
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Not if it was left out over night - 4 days max in the fridge.  

SweetLuci
by Luci on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

No it's not safe.  If left at room temp for more than two hours it needs to be discarded.

A good thing to remember is, "If in doubt, throw it out".

kim8934
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I know its too late to comment now, but it does depend how warm your house is.  in my house, meat can still be frozen in the morning.  you can test the meat to make sure it is safe.  If there is still a 1 inch chunk frozen in the middle, it is still good.  I would say no more than 3 days in the fridge after that.  in the end, smell it, you can definately tell when meat goes bad.

planetcaravan
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Hello ladies, thank you you very much for your replies, When I found it in the morning it was very cold to the touch, I live in a basement apartment so overall the house temperature it pretty cool. When I opened it the colour looked fine, smelled fine and I cooked just a small bit and tried it and tasted fine.

So yes, I did end up making it for dinner, and so far we are all ok.

Thank you for your replies, If it had been chicken it would have deffinately been discarded.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN