Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, September 22: Eggs

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 12 Replies

Cracking Up

In the U.S. in 1998, hens produced 6,657,000,000 dozen eggs - that’s 6.657 billion dozen! After these eggs were laid, about two-thirds were sold in the shell and one third of them were broken - not by accident, but on purpose. Because after the eggs are broken out of their shells, they can be made into liquid, frozen, dried and specialty egg products.

The egg shell may have as many as 17,000 tiny pores over its surface. Through them, the egg can absorb flavors and odors. Storing them in their cartons helps keep them fresh!

Eggs age more in one day at room temperature than in one week in the refrigerator.

Occasionally, a hen will produce double-yolked eggs throughout her egg-laying career. It is rare, but not unusual, for a young hen to produce an egg with no yolk at all.

It takes 24 to 26 hours for a hen to produce an egg; there is 30 minutes between each egg-producing cycle.

About 240 million laying hens produce about 5.5 billion dozen eggs per year in the United States.

Egg yolks are one of the few foods that naturally contain Vitamin D.

How often do you have eggs? How do you like them cooked?

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I don't eat eggs.

Alieda
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Once or twice a week and I cook them most ways. My faviote is scrambled.
k1ara
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM

scrambled w/ veggies and cheese or egg sandwiches (suunyside-up w/ melted cheese and tomato between toast) are favorites.

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM

We eat eggs quite a bit. I like them over easy or deviled! :) Or if I have an omelet i have to have it mushroom, tomato, and spinach.

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Oh, and I LOVE LOVE pickled eggs!!!!! My grandma used to make them all the time and DH's grandma makes them on occassion. I probably eat a half dozen anytime someone makes them!

WheelerWife
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Scrambled, deviled or in a quiche are the faves here. :)

dalbax2
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Depends on my mood.  I like them most any way.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Scrambled with cheese
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM

We use eggs all the time....I like them boiled, scrambled, in salads, sandwiches and more:)

KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

We don't really eat eggs.  Once in a great while I'll make some scrambled eggs but I'm not really a big fan.  Although I do use them often in baking.

My chickens are just about at the age to start laying.  I run out every morning hoping to find an egg but so far nothing!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)