Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

in need of recipes!

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 22 Replies
Hello, I am looking for recipes that will feed a lot that are either easy to make now and freeze or for crokpots that do not require a lot of prep.
I am having surgery in less then two weeks and will be laid up for 6 weeks or more.
Thanks ladies
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Pulled pork is super easy, makes a lot and freezes well.

Get a pork roast, toss it in the crock pot with a sliced onion and a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce and let it cook all day.  Shred it with forks when done and serve on buns or over rice or noodles.

KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of soups freeze well and it's pretty easy to make a big pot that will feed lots of people. 

Here is my recipe for hamburger soup.  This makes a ton by the way.  I usually make a batch and freeze most of it.  

HAMBURGER SOUP

Tasty and hearty soup perfect for cold winter days.  Serve with warm bread for a great meal! 
INGREDIENTS
3 32z cartons beef broth
1 28z can crushed tomatoes
2 lbs ground beef
1 lg onion, chopped
1 bunch celery, chopped
1/2 bag frozen sweet peas
1 small bag carrots, chopped
1/2 lb chili mac
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Seasoned salt
Italian seasoning
Pepper
Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS
1. Pour beef broth and crushed tomatoes into a large pot.  Add onion, celery, peas, carrots, garlic and spices.  Bring to boil and reduce heat to a simmer.

2. In large skillet brown beef with a little worcestershire sauce.  Drain well.  Add to soup.

3. Cook soup until veggies are tender (about 1-1/2 to 2 hours).  Add chili mac to soup and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until the chili mac is al dente.
KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

This will feed a crowd and is so yummy, delicious!!  You can prep ahead of time and freeze it before you bake it.  Then just defrost and pop in the oven.

BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE

INGREDIENTS
1 lb elbow macaroni
2 sticks butter
3-4 tbs flour
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
3-1/2 cups 2% milk
Salt & Pepper
1 pkg Townhouse crackers, crushed

DIRECTIONS
1. Boil pasta as directed until al dente.  Drain and place in casserole dish.
2. Melt one stick of butter in large pan.  Add flour, salt and pepper.  Stir well and bring to light boil.
3. Add Velveeta and milk.  Stir constantly until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy.  Pour over pasta.
4. Melt the other stick of butter in pan.  Add crackers to the butter and stir until well blended.  Sprinkle over pasta mixture.
5. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

This makes a LOT!

PASTA LASAGNA

A quicker and easier lasagna made with penne instead of lasagna noodles.

INGREDIENTS
1 lb penne pasta
1 lb ground beef
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tbs italian seasoning
1 small onion, chopped
2 26z jars pasta sauce
1 15z container ricotta cheese
1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
eggs, beaten

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 13x9 baking dish.
2. Prepare pasta as directed until al dente.
3. In large skillet, add beef, garlic, onion and italian seasoning.  Cook until brown.  Drain well.  Stir in pasta sauce.
4. In bowl combine ricotta cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and eggs.  Stir until well combined.
5. In the prepared baking dish layer 1/3 pasta, 1/3 cheese mixture and 1/3 of the sauce.  Repeat twice.  Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
6. Cover and bake 35-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
KamsOne
by Jen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

You can always make meatballs ahead of time and freeze them.  Or buy frozen ones.  Pop in the crock pot frozen with a jar of sauce (or homemade if you have some) or a few jars of brown gravy.  Let them cook in the crock for 6-8 hours.  You can make subs with them, serve over noodles or rice or just eat plain.

KateyBrands
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I would look in to crockpot freezer meals. You put the ingredients in Ziplock bag and freeze. Then the night before put it in the fridge to defrost then let cook in the crockpot all day. You could even get crockpot liners so there is very little clean up. You could prepare a bunch of the meals for the freezer before your surgery and that way your set for your recovery. May I ask what surgery your having? I just had my hernia repaired on the 18th and is a six week recovery also lol.
leanntx
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
1 package frozen tortellini, 1 32 oz. box of chicken broth, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 package frozen spinach, 1 package cream cheese (cut into chunks). Cook 6 hours on low, stir, and serve.
Lorena
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I am having a hysterectomy. Thanks I will work on maybe putting some togeather to freeze so dh just has to throw it in before he leaves.

Quoting KateyBrands:

I would look in to crockpot freezer meals. You put the ingredients in Ziplock bag and freeze. Then the night before put it in the fridge to defrost then let cook in the crockpot all day. You could even get crockpot liners so there is very little clean up. You could prepare a bunch of the meals for the freezer before your surgery and that way your set for your recovery. May I ask what surgery your having? I just had my hernia repaired on the 18th and is a six week recovery also lol.
KateyBrands
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Best of luck, I hope you have a smooth recovery.

Quoting Lorena:

I am having a hysterectomy. Thanks I will work on maybe putting some togeather to freeze so dh just has to throw it in before he leaves.

Quoting KateyBrands:

Lorena
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Thanks I am hoping so too.

Quoting KateyBrands:

Best of luck, I hope you have a smooth recovery.

Quoting Lorena:

Quoting KateyBrands:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN