Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Sides for a picky eater?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 23 Replies

DF is an overly picky eater, and one of his must not eats are any types of veggies. Tomorrow night we'll be having baked chicken. What sides that are not veggies would you suggest?

photo greynick1_zps45adaa8c.jpg
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimberly954
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM

no veggies at all??? Everyone in my house like corn casserole (or corn pudding - whichever you call it.) I dont really think of corn as a veggie. Everyone in my family also likes sweet potato casserole or baked sweet potatoes. Fries.

Tell your DH he needs to expand his palate a little bit! lol My DH would only eat peas, green beans and corn (all canned only) when I met him. Now he eats almost everything except broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts! He has come a long way!

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Honestly, I'd do what I do for the kids. There has to be a no thank you portion on your plate. Eat it or don't, but it has to be there.

I would make whatever veggie I want (and this method has everyone now eating things that they used to not touch.) And something like rice, cous cous, or baked potatoes.

Kimberly954
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

By the way....i got Dh into veggies by putting bacon with them......bacon green beans, bacon wrapped asparagus, etc. Now I dont have to add it anymore. :)

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would still serve veggies because I would eat them, along with either rice or mashed potatoes with an onion gravy and fresh baked bread.

skittlefart
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I wish I could get mine to do the same, lol. But he's so stubborn. He has some weird psychological thing about veggies that his siblings did to him when he was young so he's never liked them! He'll eat potatoes willingly if they're mashed or fried, and very slim occasions i can get him to eat carrots but they have to be steamed. 

Quoting Kimberly954:

no veggies at all??? Everyone in my house like corn casserole (or corn pudding - whichever you call it.) I dont really think of corn as a veggie. Everyone in my family also likes sweet potato casserole or baked sweet potatoes. Fries.

Tell your DH he needs to expand his palate a little bit! lol My DH would only eat peas, green beans and corn (all canned only) when I met him. Now he eats almost everything except broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts! He has come a long way!

skittlefart
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Haha that actually sounds like a good idea. Maybe I can peer pressure him a little...

Quoting balagan_imma:

Honestly, I'd do what I do for the kids. There has to be a no thank you portion on your plate. Eat it or don't, but it has to be there.

I would make whatever veggie I want (and this method has everyone now eating things that they used to not touch.) And something like rice, cous cous, or baked potatoes.

skittlefart
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I think I might try that actually, haha. 

Quoting Kimberly954:

By the way....i got Dh into veggies by putting bacon with them......bacon green beans, bacon wrapped asparagus, etc. Now I dont have to add it anymore. :)

skittlefart
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Those sound delicious :) Never had onion gravy before, might try this sometime!

Quoting goddess99:

I would still serve veggies because I would eat them, along with either rice or mashed potatoes with an onion gravy and fresh baked bread.

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

There are several veggies that DH wouldn't touch 20 years ago. I just got tired of the same old things and said eff it. I want the kids to eat them, so you get to eat them too. It actually worked. He now readily eats most of the no thank you list willingly now, with the exception of beets.

Quoting skittlefart:

DF is an overly picky eater, and one of his must not eats are any types of veggies. Tomorrow night we'll be having baked chicken. What sides that are not veggies would you suggest?

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I cheat lol it's so easy and so good. I take 1 envelope of Lipton onion soup mix, mix with 2 cups of water, add a little pepper, let simmer then when everything else is almost done I whisk in a little flour. That's it. Honestly this is our go to gravy, make it all the time.

Quoting skittlefart:

Those sound delicious :) Never had onion gravy before, might try this sometime!

Quoting goddess99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN