Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

What would be a good menu for a birthday party?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

My kids birthday party is next weekend. I am totally slacking and have not planned the menu!

Soooo I was thinking hot dogs on the grill, chips or potato salad, mac and cheese in the crockpot. What should i have that takes minimal work? The kids birthday party is 2 days after halloween and my dh decided to have both my parents and his to our house for halloween dinner!

**Parents halloween dinner: chili, cornbread, salad

** Kids birthday party: hot dogs, mac and cheese, fruit tray, chips, baked beans, cake and drinks.

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I think that sounds good. A veggie or fruit kabob tray, I always do a pickle and olive tray.

MixedCooke
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:21 AM

hot dogs can be a choking hazard, just saying.  Most kids like pizza!  maybe you can do a little pizza station and let them decorate their own and it will also be a little activity for them to do.  maybe a sundae station as well.

OliviaW.
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM
We just had one and did soups and stews.
Lorena
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM
We have done hot dogs, sloppy Joes, tacos, nachos, pulled pork, and pizzas. The kids love the make your own pizza parties. We have also done decrate your own cupcakes, and Sunday bars. Anything to make it fun. But I am assuming it is for little kids if your doing hotdogs. I would stick with that. I love the Mac and cheese idea.
gmadiane
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

you could maybe make a big sub sandwich and cut it down, fruit and cheese

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I think it sounds great. I'm assuming you're having birthday cake, so you don't need dessert. The only thing I would add would be fruit and veggie tray with dip.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Are you having the parents over on Halloween only? Or is it a family weekend? Is this dinner part of the birthday party?

We usually have a lot of games going at our birthday parties and need all adults helping.  The party guest are all kids. It's go-go-go for about an hour and then candle blowing, birthday wishes, and present opening. Most of the kids prefer a cake pop and a loot bag.

Kimberly954
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Yep, they can be but thats at the discretion of the parent. We will have mac and cheese and fruit so if kids are like mine (she doesnt even really like hotdogs) there will be other things. Hot dogs are more for the adults. Its outside at a park so pizza and sundaes are out.

Quoting MixedCooke:

hot dogs can be a choking hazard, just saying.  Most kids like pizza!  maybe you can do a little pizza station and let them decorate their own and it will also be a little activity for them to do.  maybe a sundae station as well.

KJH_KMH_MOM
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM

maac and cheese always makes kids happy if nothing else... hot dogs are always great because they are quick cheap and dont take a lot of work! I think you have a great idea going~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)