Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week: Beef for stew

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hearty beef stews  can make a satisfying, easy and filling weeknight meal.  Beef for stewing can be purchased already trimmed, cubed, and packaged in most food stores. It is often labeled "stew meat" without describing the cut from which the meat was obtained. Look for stew meat that has some marbling and connective tissue which will provide more flavor and help to keep the meat as tender as possible.

However, pre-packaged stew meat often falls short, with unknown and varying cuts of beef ininconsistent sizing.

You can also purchase the beef cut of your choice and cut it into pieces at home. It is usually less expensive to trim and cut the beef yourself and as a result, you will know exactly what you're getting.

Much of the beef used for stewing is obtained from the round cut, but almost any tough cut can be used because the stewing process helps to tenderize the meat.

The best beef for stewing, in terms of tenderness and flavor, comes from the chuck. It has plenty of fat and connective tissue that melts during the stewing process, providing flavor and preventing the meat from becoming tough.

Chuck-eye roast, in my opinion, is the most beefy-tasting cuts in the supermarket and is one of the cheapest. It also turns meltingly tender when it’s cooked.    

Here's a great video showing how to cut a roast into chunks for stewing:

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/learn-to-cook/2013/02/how-to-cut-your-own-stew-meat-from-beef-roasts-or-steaks-video/

Do you buy prepackaged stew meat or have the butcher cut up a piece of chuck roast or round roast? Many meat departments in  grocery stores will do this for no charge. Just pick out a roast and ask if they'll cut it into 1-1 1/2" pieces for you.

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I don't mind cutting a roast for stew meat. I always ask the butcher to cut hams for me so why not a roast? The only time that I don't use chuck roast is when I'm making round steak soup and I like it more than stew most days. Chuck steak or round steak, it all works just don't combine them.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I agree.

Quoting DissieDothe:

I don't mind cutting a roast for stew meat. I always ask the butcher to cut hams for me so why not a roast? The only time that I don't use chuck roast is when I'm making round steak soup and I like it more than stew most days. Chuck steak or round steak, it all works just don't combine them.

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I thought about trying a pork roast since i do not like beef roast in a beef stew.  Would that be weird?  We have at least one meat department in our area that will cut up meat for you.

KamsOne
by Jen on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I don't use stew meat for my beef stew.  I buy sirloin tips and just cut those up.  

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM

That would not be weird at all. I make Brunswick stew with pork and it's really good. Just substitute the pork for beef. I think that's a good idea, and I'm going to try that as well.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I thought about trying a pork roast since i do not like beef roast in a beef stew.  Would that be weird?  We have at least one meat department in our area that will cut up meat for you.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I usually find a tray that's already made up....dh loves stew meat but I don't use it that often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)