Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brown Rice

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Kim
  • 17 Replies

My family is all about white rice. I bought brown rice the other day. It made me a little frustrated that brown rice takes 45 minutes to cook and no one in my family would eat it.

How can I make brown rice so its edible to my white rice loving family?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I cook all rice in a vegetable broth. I think that makes it taste nice, but we too prefer white rice over brown.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

The only way my family will eat it is in fried rice, or paealla, or somthing where they don't know that it's brown rice. like with soy sauce or tomato sauce. Cooked in chicken broth, then sauteed with lots of onions and peppers is good, too.

Kimberly954
by Kim on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Hmmmmmmm maybe i will try it fried next time.

Quoting SweetLuci:

The only way my family will eat it is in fried rice, or paealla, or somthing where they don't know that it's brown rice. like with soy sauce or tomato sauce. Cooked in chicken broth, then sauteed with lots of onions and peppers is good, too.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

i cook it the same way i would with white. I usually serve it with chicken and broccoli. 

jjamom
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Same here.  If they don't know, they might eat it.  If they know, they'll swear they don't like it!

Quoting SweetLuci:

arthistmom
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My family will eat it, reluctantly, if there's nothing else.
taKENheart
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, cooking it in broth is an excellent idea.  I have done it with white too.  I prefer white but I really tried to like brown.

Quoting goddess99:

I cook all rice in a vegetable broth. I think that makes it taste nice, but we too prefer white rice over brown.

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Fried brown rice would probably be the only way I would like it too.  That's a great idea ;)

Quoting SweetLuci:

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Oct. 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Haven't tried brown rice before
OliviaW.
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM
A little bit of sugar and cinnamon always does the trick for my famiky.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)