Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Ingredient of the Week, November 3: macaroni

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 18 Replies

Macaroni Mania

Pasta is one of America’s favorite foods. Last year, 1.3 million pounds of pasta were sold in American grocery stores.

Macaroni is a variety of dry pasta made with durum wheat. Elbow macaroni noodles normally do not contain eggs and are normally cut in short, hollow shapes, however, the term refers not to the shape of the pasta, but to the kind of dough from which the noodle is made. Masny Italian-Americans refer to all pasta as macaroni.

Noodles got their start in China, not Italy as many people might think.

Pasta made its way to the New World through the English who found it while traveling through Italy. The English made pasta by cooking it for about a half an hour and then smothering it with cream sauce and cheese. This was the beginning of Macaroni and Cheese!

America’s first large pasta factory was built in Brooklyn, New York in 1848 by a Frenchman who would spread out his spaghetti strands on the roof to dry in the sunshine.

In mid-18th century England, a macaroni was a fashionable fellow who dressed and even spoke in an outlandishly affected manner. The term pejoratively referred to a man who "exceeded the ordinary bounds of fashion" in terms of clothes, fastidious eating and gambling; a dandy.  As in the jingle, "put a feather in his cap and called it macaroni"

How do you most often use macaroni? In macaroni & cheese, macaroni salad or something else?

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leanntx
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I make my own macaroni and cheese, I actually made some last night.
OliviaW.
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

We make a lot of mac & cheese and goulash here.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Nothing better than homemade macaroni & cheese. I've made a lot of different recipes,  everybody has a little different way of making it, and they're all good, but I'm still in search of the way I remember it being made at Morrison's Cafeteria. Creamy sauce with a layer of crusty cheese on top.

Quoting leanntx:

leanntx
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I add bacon pieces to my sauce.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Nothing better than homemade macaroni & cheese. I've made a lot of different recipes,  everybody has a little different way of making it, and they're all good, but I'm still in search of the way I remember it being made at Morrison's Cafeteria. Creamy sauce with a layer of crusty cheese on top.

Quoting leanntx:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

That sounds delicious.

Quoting leanntx:

I add bacon pieces to my sauce.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting leanntx:

periwinkle163
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I use it for macaroni salad or other pasta salads the most.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM
What do you like in your macaroni or pasta salads?
Quoting periwinkle163:

periwinkle163
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting periwinkle163:

The macaroni salad is pretty much a mustard potato salad with macaroni instead of potatoes. For a pasta salad I usually make a blt version, with tomatoes, ranch, cucumber, bacon, and green onions.

Marisol1106
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Yes, I make homemade Mac and cheese and macaroni salad.
SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Quoting periwinkle163:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting periwinkle163:

The macaroni salad is pretty much a mustard potato salad with macaroni instead of potatoes. For a pasta salad I usually make a blt version, with tomatoes, ranch, cucumber, bacon, and green onions.

I like the sound of your pasta salad. I think I have all the ingredients on hand....hmmm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN