Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

soup beans

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 20 Replies
Anyone have some recipes they wanna share?
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I don't have any but here id a bump for you
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Bean soup?  The simple bean soup that I make is Garbanzo. Salted water, bay leaf, evoo, chickpeas. I also make a simple bean soup with Great Northern - water, beans, four smoked ham hocks.  Pintos or red beans (one in the same), water &  salt pork. I generally add red kidney beans to chili but you can also cook them and use for sides or to top a salad.  

misbishy
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
my bf decided do one pot bacon, and one ham. My son dont like bacon do im making everyone happy. I put a bit of salt, and garlic powder smelling so good.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Bean soup?  The simple bean soup that I make is Garbanzo. Salted water, bay leaf, evoo, chickpeas. I also make a simple bean soup with Great Northern - water, beans, four smoked ham hocks.  Pintos or red beans (one in the same), water &  salt pork. I generally add red kidney beans to chili but you can also cook them and use for sides or to top a salad.  

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

In Kentucky where I was born, and other parts of Appalacia, soup bean are what som others call pinto beans. Usually served with cornbread. If that's what you're asking for, this is the traditional way to make them.

Pinto Beans

1 pound bag dried pinto beans
salt (to taste)
Ham hocks, salt pork or 3 Tablespoons of Canola oil or lard
One large onion, chopped

Pick through Pinto Beans and remove rocks and imperfect beans, rinse well and drain. Place in large pot with a thick bottom, and a lid. Cooking in this way will cause them to become a beautiful reddish color in a thick soup. My mom and granny called them “Soup Beans”. Place beans and Ham Hocks or other seasoning in the pot and fill almost to the top with water. Bring beans to a boil and reduce heat to medium/low. They will continue to cook and you will have to add more HOT water until beans are tender. When tender, add salt to taste, 2 tablespoons Canola oil and one large chopped onion. Continue to simmer...as soup begins to thicken you may have to lower temperature. Be sure that there is an adequate amount of water, cooking down to make a thick red soup. When done, (about 3 hours later) cook the juice down. You can remove the lid when the beans are done and turn the temperature back up to cook down the soup.

misbishy
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM
My granny is from Kentucky too. She also called them soup beans. Thank you so much! My granny's memory is not the best anymore.

Quoting SweetLuci:

In Kentucky where I was born, and other parts of Appalacia, soup bean are what som others call pinto beans. Usually served with cornbread. If that's what you're asking for, this is the traditional way to make them.

Pinto Beans

salt (to taste)
One large onion, chopped

Pick through Pinto Beans and remove rocks and imperfect beans, rinse well and drain. Place in large pot with a thick bottom, and a lid. Cooking in this way will cause them to become a beautiful reddish color in a thick soup. My mom and granny called them “Soup Beans”. Place beans and Ham Hocks or other seasoning in the pot and fill almost to the top with water. Bring beans to a boil and reduce heat to medium/low. They will continue to cook and you will have to add more HOT water until beans are tender. When tender, add salt to taste, 2 tablespoons Canola oil and one large chopped onion. Continue to simmer...as soup begins to thicken you may have to lower temperature. Be sure that there is an adequate amount of water, cooking down to make a thick red soup. When done, (about 3 hours later) cook the juice down. You can remove the lid when the beans are done and turn the temperature back up to cook down the soup.

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so glad to see someone else who calls them soup beans and not bean soup, lol

rmp
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yay!!! Ham hocks of course , onion, garlic, and a tiny bit of cumin. yummy

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Glad I could help. What do you serve with them? I like fried potatoes, sliced tomatoes and green onions, and corn bread of course.
Quoting misbishy:

My granny is from Kentucky too. She also called them soup beans. Thank you so much! My granny's memory is not the best anymore.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Pinto Beans

salt (to taste)
One large onion, chopped

misbishy
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Fried potatoes, cornbread, yellow onion, and I love banana peppers on mine.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Glad I could help. What do you serve with them? I like fried potatoes, sliced tomatoes and green onions, and corn bread of course.

Quoting misbishy:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Pinto Beans

salt (to taste)
One large onion, chopped

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM

My mom loves banana peppers. She grows them and makes vinegar pepper sauce from them. Unfortunately I have a food intolerance for peppers. :)

Quoting misbishy:

Fried potatoes, cornbread, yellow onion, and I love banana peppers on mine.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting misbishy:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Pinto Beans

salt (to taste)
One large onion, chopped

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)