Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Homemade Christmas gifts...kinda OT

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Since Christmas is coming up many people decide to go either a cheaper or easier route for extended family. I am no different. I prefer to give homemade gifts because to me they are more heart-felt then something bought at the store and 93% I already have all of the ingredients on hand anyways.

This year I am giving people (mostly dh's family since my side doesn't exchange gifts anymore);

soap, lip balm, lip gloss, lotion bars, lavendar milk bath stuff, bath salts and possibly some apricot jam and bread in a jar.

What would you think about getting such gifts? Would you enjoy them?

I'll be more than happy to share any recipe for anything that I have listed just ask. 

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I love homemade things I can use like the things you have listed. Those are awesome! 

veraxaudeo
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM
None of that appeals to me, but I do like handmade gifts. I'm doing all handmade gifts this year, too. Mostly made by me, but a few I bought from other WAHMs I know and am friends with.
Kimberly954
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Those sounds awesome!!! I would love the homemade lotion bars, soap and bath milk stuff best! And i LOVE homemade jam!!!! I beg one of my moms friends for a jar of her mixed berry jam when she makes it!

Kimberly954
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

BTW Are the lotion bars difficult?? I have made soaps before...i made them in ice cube trays and put them in glass jars so they were pretty decorations.

OliviaW.
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

BTW Are the lotion bars difficult?? I have made soaps before...i made them in ice cube trays and put them in glass jars so they were pretty decorations.

They're not hard at all. It's just beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa butter or shea butter (I use both). You can add esstional oils but I like the chocolate smell fromt he cocoa butter.

OliviaW.
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting veraxaudeo:

None of that appeals to me, but I do like handmade gifts. I'm doing all handmade gifts this year, too. Mostly made by me, but a few I bought from other WAHMs I know and am friends with.

I have one of dh's aunts that begs me for the bath salt so she always gets some. Next year I think I'm get going to knit some lap blankets maybe a few scarves and smaller things and call it good.

OliviaW.
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

Those sounds awesome!!! I would love the homemade lotion bars, soap and bath milk stuff best! And i LOVE homemade jam!!!! I beg one of my moms friends for a jar of her mixed berry jam when she makes it!

You'd be amazed about how easy everything is to make and most of it is probably all in your kitchen. I haven't tried the milk bath stuff since I just made it today but everything else I use.

raczac
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Can I get the recipes for the soap andvthe milk bath please?

Quoting OliviaW.:

Since Christmas is coming up many people decide to go either a cheaper or easier route for extended family. I am no different. I prefer to give homemade gifts because to me they are more heart-felt then something bought at the store and 93% I already have all of the ingredients on hand anyways.

This year I am giving people (mostly dh's family since my side doesn't exchange gifts anymore);

soap, lip balm, lip gloss, lotion bars, lavendar milk bath stuff, bath salts and possibly some apricot jam and bread in a jar.

I'll be more than happy to share any recipe for anything that I have listed just ask. 

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Neat ideas
OliviaW.
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

The milk bath is:

1 cup powdered milk

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup baking soda

20 drops of your favorite essential oil

Mix all the ingredients together and place in a jar and allow it to sit for at least 24 hours before using.  I haven't used it yet so I'm not sure how much to use in the bath. The recipe that I have didn't say.

Homemade soap is hard to make. There's a lot of ingredients and time that goes into making it. Here's a website that talks a bit about making it and it also has the recipe that I use it in. http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/responsible-living/stories/easy-homemade-soap

I've also used the melt and pour types of soap that you can get at any craft store. They turn out really nice too.

Quoting raczac:

Can I get the recipes for the soap andvthe milk bath please?

Quoting OliviaW.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)