Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Thanksgiving Newbie

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM
  • 14 Replies
So this year I've been made to be in charge of most of the food for thanksgiving. I've never cooked a turkey before. What are the dos and don'ts and how do I keep it juicy. Also I love candied yams but never made them before. What's a good recipe? Need other ideas as well.

For desert I plan to make a pumpkin roll but not sure on anything else.
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

For the turkey or ham, the Reynolds Turkey Size Oven Bags are good.  The bags keep the meat really tender.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

This is a link to the Butterball Turkey Talk Line where you can call, email, etc. and ask questions about cooking a turkey.
http://www.butterball.com/contact-us

suetoo
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Absolutely use a Reynold's roasting bag. It makes perfectly moist and browned turkey. Here are a few tips I learned the hard way...

there are two holes for stuffing...the neck and the other one. Don't put the stuffing in until you remove the neck thing from the top hole and the paper bag of innards from the other cavity. Happy Thanksgiving.

ps you use the cooked shell of the pumpkin for pie, not the stringy stuff. I've been married for over 40 yrs and my DH still laughs at me about our first Thanksgiving dinner! :-)

KamsOne
by Jen on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I've never made yams before so I have no advice there.

As for the turkey, I've never cooked one in the oven.  We have an oil-less turkey fryer that produces the most flavorful, juiciest turkey.  So yummy.  And it cooks it in 1/2 the time of an oven.

babynurse244
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM
This is what I was going to recommend. Also make sure you check the cavities and get the neck and the giblets (ewwww) bags out before you cook the turkey. I can't tell you how many people have told me they cooked their turkey with those things still inside in their plastic bags.

Quoting delanna6two:

For the turkey or ham, the Reynolds Turkey Size Oven Bags are good.  The bags keep the meat really tender.

ablox
by Aisha on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I have no advice. This is only my second thanksgiving and the first one didn't go so well
precious54
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

cook turkey in an oven bag

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting Femommy:

I've never cooked a turkey before.

What size turkey are you planning to buy?

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Quoting Femommy:

For desert I plan to make a pumpkin roll but not sure on anything else.

How are your baking skills? Beginner ... Intermediate ... baker ??? 

If you don't want to do apple pies, consider apple turnovers for a dessert.  Seems like people love them both, chocolate cream pie or chocolate pudding cake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)