Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

apples & applesauce

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm not sure if this was posted anywhere else but.......  does anyone have a tried & family approved recipe for applesauce?...or any other good apple recipes?  I have at least 15 apples (2 different types) in my fridge and, other than apple pie, I'm not sure what to make with them.   Thanks!

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

This is how I make mine.

Peel,and slice your apples. Place in a sauce pan with about 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 cup or so apple juice or whatever you have, slowly cook until tender. Place in blender and blend until smooth. Place about into your saucepan add honey or sugar (about 1-2 cups depending on you), cinnamon and possibly caramels(sometimes I do this) and cook on low until everything has melted. Place in jars, put lids and bans on and give a hot water bath for 15-20 minutes.

The hot water bath should seal the jars.

KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I'm not a huge applesauce fan so i dont have a recipe. Heres a bump for you though. hope you can find one =)

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Nov. 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM

When I made it as baby food I just peeled, cored, chopped and steamed them then pureed them.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Nov. 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Never made apple sauce before
SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Peel, slice and core the apples. Place in saucepan with a little water or apple juice, cook about 25 minutes till very soft. I taste for sweetness. Depending on what kind of apples you're using, you may or may not have to add any sugar. If not sweet enough, about 1/2 cup sugar. Cook a little and taste again. Blend in food processor, or use a potato masher. Leave chunky or make smooth. Add cinnamon if you like. Done.

If you don't have a food processor or blender, dice up the apples before cooking.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Apples are also great just sauteed in a little butter. Slice and core apples, peel or not as you wish. Place a little butter in a skillet, add apples, saute over medium heat till soft 5-10 minutes, add white or brown sugar and a little cinnamon or nutmeg or both. Absolutely delicious. Serve as is or with ice cream or on top of pound cake, or with a few graham crackers crumbled over the top.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Do you like applebutter?

Slow Cooker Apple Butter

Yield: 4 pints

6½ pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used a combination)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves (I omit this, we don't like cloves)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Place apples in slow cooker. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Sprinkle over the apples and stir gently to combine. Cook on low for 10 hours.

2. Stir in vanilla extract, breaking up any large chunks of apples that remain. Cover and cook for an additional 2 hours.

3. Remove cover and use an immersion blender to puree the apple butter until completely smooth. (Alternately, you could puree in batches in a food processor or regular blender.) If you want the apple butter thicker, you can continue to cook it on low with the lid of the slow cooker slightly ajar so that steam can escape.

4. Allow the mixture to cool, then spoon into jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months.

Kimberly954
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I just make pie or apple muffins when I have apples.

Kimberly954
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Oh, I LOVE hot apples...i think cracker barrel has them as a side. I dont know what you really call them.....they are cooked, sliced, cinnamon. YUMMY.

suetoo
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Peel, wedge and freeze them in ziplocks for small portions at a time. Put cored apples in baking dish. Allow kids to sprinkle sugar, brown or white, cinnamon, honey, or little cinnamon candies on them. Bake, serve and let kids scoop out their own 'premade' applesauce. 

suetoo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)