Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Game Meat

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok, who cooks game meat?? I always thought you had to slow cook it to make it tender but I just read somewhere that because its so lean, that actually dries it out. My DH just got a hog tonight so we will have a bunch of pork in the freezer. Whats the best way to cook it so it doesnt get dry and tough??? (I have always thrown it in the crockpot and it goes from perfect to dry so quickly that I usually miss that "perfect" window!)

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lkane81
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM
You just have to cook it at a lower temp and a bit shorter time. Unless it's for a stew or soup I put it in the oven or on the stove depending on if itsba roast or steak. Also you can sear it to help lock in juices.
Kimberly954
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Any good recipes? Most of it (since its a boar) we will probably just grind up and I just use it in place of any other ground meat. But we are taking it to the butcher so I am sure we will get chops and ribs and other things as well. This is new for us to take it to the butcher!! Most things we just process ourselves but it limits our cuts.

Quoting lkane81:

You just have to cook it at a lower temp and a bit shorter time. Unless it's for a stew or soup I put it in the oven or on the stove depending on if itsba roast or steak. Also you can sear it to help lock in juices.

Beth3721
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Crockpot never seems to work.  We covered our pheasant completely in water last time and it seemed to help with the dryness.  I would grind most of it and cut mostly chops out of the rest.  Then you could either bake them in a cream based soup or fry them.

lkane81
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM
For boar I would just season it up like you would any other pork dish. That's what I do if it's venison I just use and season like beef. Just keep in mind it is leaner so it will cook faster and less is more with seasoning.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Any good recipes? Most of it (since its a boar) we will probably just grind up and I just use it in place of any other ground meat. But we are taking it to the butcher so I am sure we will get chops and ribs and other things as well. This is new for us to take it to the butcher!! Most things we just process ourselves but it limits our cuts.

Quoting lkane81:

KamsOne
by Jen on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM

My uncle is a hunter but only deer.  I have no idea what to do with boar.

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM

We smoked venison. Maybe it would work for boar. It was low and slow, yanno? Basted with one heck of a hot sauce mixture with melted butter and beer.  For some reason it just drew out the "wild" taste without tasting hot.

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

You could make sausage if you can get hold of a grinder.

Newmumtobe44
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:06 AM
No clue I only cook moose and deer . U could get it made into stuff tho which make it taste better .
Newmumtobe44
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM
I don't know how it would taste on boar but I always put a good two cups of coffee in with my moose / deer meat and it just takes away the game taste
Kimberly954
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Its at the butcher now....he is making ground pork, breakfast sausage, pork chops and ham steaks.

Quoting Newmumtobe44:

No clue I only cook moose and deer . U could get it made into stuff tho which make it taste better .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN