Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Apple Pie Tips

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

Share your best apple pie tips. I'm the cake & cookie person, I've only made a few pies and never apple, except fried. Anyone have tips for a great apple pie?

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Add a bit of butter to the pie before adding the top crust. Make sure that you cut the top crust before putting it in the oven.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Never made apple pie before but it is yummy!
delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I've not tried an apple pie yet....love it though...

OliviaW.
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Another other that I always do is using a brush and some melted butter and sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.

periwinkle163
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Try a crumb topping instead of a second crust, it is so much better in my opinion.

campingmomof4
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure you over fill the pie pan with apples.  They cook down alot.  Before you put the apples in your crust put a little flour on the crust.  That helps absorb some of the juice from the apples so your crust doesn't get suggy. 

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM

If you want a saucy apple pie that's major on flavor, Put your apples in a bowl and mix with apple butter. No additional spices or sugar needed.

You can make an apple tapioca pie filling ... very good.  Using apple pie filling, homemade or store bought, and a bottom crust, top the pie with shredded cheddar cheese.

Apple pie lasagna - croissant dough, apple pie filling, ricotta cheese, strudel, top with another croissant.

KamsOne
by Jen on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I don't have any tips.  My pies always seem to be sunken in no matter how many apples I use.  :(

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you making your crust? If so, for the flakiest, most tender crust, it's essential that you keep all of your ingredients and equipment cold as you work. Use all butter, much better flavor

Use tart apples, they have a lot of pectin and that helps them hold their shape.   Granny Smith, Royal Gala, Empire, Cortland, and Golden Delicious will all work better than Red Delicious, McIntosh, and Braeburn.

It may seem counterintuitive, but par-cooking your apples either by stirring them in a pan on the stovetop, by heating them in the microwave,  or by pouring boiling water over them and letting them sit for 10 minutes will make for apples that hold their shape better when you bake them.

Hot apple pie fresh out of the oven might sound appealing, but letting it rest for a couple of hours will give you better results in the end. For one thing, most recipes are designed for optimum texture at room temperature. Slice that pie while it's too hot, and it'll be runny and wet instead of perfectly glazed and juicy. Pie crust also fares better at room temperature, where it'll have a flakier, crisper texture.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

What apples do you use? Use tart ones and try par-cooking them first. Once your apple slices have been pre-treated in such a manner, subsequent baking will tenderize them, but still allow them to maintain their shape.

All you've got to do is heat up a pre-determined amount of water (I use 3 quarts per 4 pounds of apples) on the stovetop to a boil and pour it directly over your room temperature apples in a bowl. If everything is measured right, you end up with apples sitting right at around 160°F. Cover the bowl, let it rest 10 minutes, drain the apple slices, and you're good to go. If you're in the mood for hot cider and a bit of extra flavor in your pie, you can do the exact same thing using cider instead of water.

After ten minutes in the bowl, your slices will have softened ever so slightly, but still retain most of their form. After this point, even if you bake them into a pie, they still pretty much retain their basic shape and a bit of pleasant al dente firmness.

As an added bonus, par-cooking your apples will get rid of the air pocket that can occur between the top of the apples and the crust when you add your apples raw.

Quoting KamsOne:

I don't have any tips.  My pies always seem to be sunken in no matter how many apples I use.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN