Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Cookie Swap

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

I would love to have a cookie swap for my girl scouts this year. I think it could be a fun Christmas party activity. I have never had one before and was wondering if anyone had tips to share for a successful one. I have 20 girls all between the ages of 5-7, how many cookies should I ask them to bring? I was thinking of buying plain cake boxes and letting them decorate them as the craft portion of the evening and then fill them with the swaps. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I been to and hosted, but this is a little different.  I think that's an awesome idea! I would keep the amount small. I would tell them to bake 2 dozen cookies. Tell them to bake the cookies 2-3 days before the party. That way they'll be a little more sturdy for handling. Freshly baked cookies are fragile. Also, that helps to insure that they don't forget and then not come because they don't have cookies to share. I would call the moms a few days before and remind them. 

When they arrive, the cookies are placed on a table. When they finish their boxes, they would go down the line of cookies and pick one from each package and place in their box. Do their mom's stay to help? If so they might help with this. I'm just picturing a little 5 year old dumping all her cookies on the floor. They will take home the same amount of cookies they bring, minus the ones they eat.

After they get their cookies packaged, they would get to have a few cookies, and whatever beverage you decide.

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Never did one before
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I've never hosted one before but I have been to one! We were just asked to bring enough cookies to eat there and enough for everyone to bring home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

I been to and hosted, but this is a little different.  I think that's an awesome idea! I would keep the amount small. I would tell them to bake 2 dozen cookies. Tell them to bake the cookies 2-3 days before the party. That way they'll be a little more sturdy for handling. Freshly baked cookies are fragile. Also, that helps to insure that they don't forget and then not come because they don't have cookies to share. I would call the moms a few days before and remind them. 

When they arrive, the cookies are placed on a table. When they finish their boxes, they would go down the line of cookies and pick one from each package and place in their box. Do their mom's stay to help? If so they might help with this. I'm just picturing a little 5 year old dumping all her cookies on the floor. They will take home the same amount of cookies they bring, minus the ones they eat.

After they get their cookies packaged, they would get to have a few cookies, and whatever beverage you decide.

Thanks this sounds great! I am a very lucky scout leader because I do have a lot of helpers each week. I think this will be fun. 

Kimberly954
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM
2 moms liked this

We do 3 dozen each but maybe 2 dozen would be easier for that age group? And then I would do plain shirt boxes (like you wrap up christmas gifts in) and decorate those. You can get them at the dollar store. Either that or gift bags work nicely as well! And they would be easier for the girls to carry and not spill.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We meet at a church with a kitchen, divide our girls into groups, designate a cookie recipe for each.  At the end of baking, we all share a cookie & drink, bag the rest, and head home. We make chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, & sugar cookies. Not a lot of variety but not everyone bringing chocolate chips either.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never been in one...hope all works out:)

periwinkle163
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Quoting DissieDothe:

We meet at a church with a kitchen, divide our girls into groups, designate a cookie recipe for each.  At the end of baking, we all share a cookie & drink, bag the rest, and head home. We make chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, & sugar cookies. Not a lot of variety but not everyone bringing chocolate chips either.

Oh we won't be baking them at the meeting. Cooking projects with 20 6 year olds would be a stretch. I usually pick a no bake recipe for those since we only have one oven to work with at the school. That sounds like it would be a blast though.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Quoting periwinkle163:

Quoting DissieDothe:

Oh we won't be baking them at the meeting. Cooking projects with 20 6 year olds would be a stretch. I usually pick a no bake recipe for those since we only have one oven to work with at the school. That sounds like it would be a blast though.

That is why we divide them into groups with 4 girls in each group and 1 or 2 moms to help each group.
We have 2 ovens and with the cookies baking on 2 trays per oven ... about 12 minutes per batch, we have cookies baked in about 30 min. (The clean-up is minimal since everything is pre-measured and we use parchment paper.)

KamsOne
by Jen on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I think that's a great idea!  I've never hosted or been to a cookie swap.  Sounds like fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)