Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

I love to bake

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:41 AM
  • 8 Replies

I love to bake and have been trying recipes for over 20 years. I recently had to pack my home and can't find my recipes. I desperately need a good old fashioned recipe for pecan pie. I'm a Southern girl so I need a recipe for the crust too. We prefer it to be flaky. Please help if you're willing to share.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Ingredients ( Edit )

1 (9-inch) frozen pie crust, or Make your own
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (or pecan halves)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
3 tbsp. salted butter, melted
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
cinnamon not pictured

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
Take frozen pie crust out of...
For those of you who may be...

See full instructions on www.thecountrycook.net
Kimberly954
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Good luck!! I have a crust recipe (i use Pioneer Woman's recipe) but not pecan pie.

OliviaW.
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I use the same crust. I love it.

I don't have a recipe for pecan pie, sorry. Welcome to the group too.

Quoting Kimberly954:

Good luck!! I have a crust recipe (i use Pioneer Woman's recipe) but not pecan pie.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Hope you find your recipes, and welcome to the group.

I'm a Southern born girl, and this is the recipe I use.

Pecan Pie
1 9" pie shell, unbaked
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dark rum or 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 cups pecans
Prepare pie crust. Do not bake. Break eggs into mixing bowl, beat well. Add the following ingredients one at a time: sugar, corn syrup, salt, rum, butter, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans. Pour into shell. Bake 1 hour.

Pie Shell
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 oz. (2 ½ Tablespoons) salted butter, chilled
1/3 cup (2 oz) vegetable shortening, chilled
3-4 Tablespoons ice water
Divide butter into 6-8 pieces and using Pastry Blender (or two forks) cut into flour until size of peas. Divide shortening and cut into flour mixture until size ranging from bread crumbs to large lima beans. Chill 15 minutes. Sprinkle with 3 Tablespoons ice water. Bring together. Shape into oval disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes-2 hours, or place in freezer 30 minutes. Roll out on lightly floured surface. For blind shell-fill with aluminum foil & beans and bake in pre-heated 450 oven for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 375 for 5 minutes. Lower temperature to 325. Remove foil and beans. Prick crust with fork. Bake 15-20 minutes at 325.

Notes: you can eliminate shortening and use 6-oz (1 1/2 sticks) butter. This is especially good for fruit pies.
You can substitute milk for water; this makes it easy to shape for a free-form pie.

Double the amounts for a pie with top and bottom crust.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Hi, I have not tried this recipe but Welcome to the group!!! Hope you are able to use some of the suggestions from the other ladies:)

KamsOne
by Jen on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I've never made a pecan pie.  I just wanted to say I'm really sorry that you can't find your recipes.  That stinks.  :(

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

SweetLuci always has a good recipe for anything southern-she used to have her own resteraunt-so I trust her for recipes that have been actually "tried and consumed".

Sorry you can't find your recipes.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Hope you find your recipes, and welcome to the group.

I'm a Southern born girl, and this is the recipe I use.

Pecan Pie
1 9" pie shell, unbaked
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dark rum or 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 cups pecans
Prepare pie crust. Do not bake. Break eggs into mixing bowl, beat well. Add the following ingredients one at a time: sugar, corn syrup, salt, rum, butter, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans. Pour into shell. Bake 1 hour.

Pie Shell
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 oz. (2 ½ Tablespoons) salted butter, chilled
1/3 cup (2 oz) vegetable shortening, chilled
3-4 Tablespoons ice water
Divide butter into 6-8 pieces and using Pastry Blender (or two forks) cut into flour until size of peas. Divide shortening and cut into flour mixture until size ranging from bread crumbs to large lima beans. Chill 15 minutes. Sprinkle with 3 Tablespoons ice water. Bring together. Shape into oval disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes-2 hours, or place in freezer 30 minutes. Roll out on lightly floured surface. For blind shell-fill with aluminum foil & beans and bake in pre-heated 450 oven for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 375 for 5 minutes. Lower temperature to 325. Remove foil and beans. Prick crust with fork. Bake 15-20 minutes at 325.

Notes: you can eliminate shortening and use 6-oz (1 1/2 sticks) butter. This is especially good for fruit pies.
You can substitute milk for water; this makes it easy to shape for a free-form pie.

Double the amounts for a pie with top and bottom crust.

dominatrix250
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Thank you everyone for your recipes. I'm going to try them this weekend to see which one my family likes best.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN