Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Would this be a substitute for corn syrup?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

The orange marmalade that I have has real corn syrup in it.  Do you think it would work if I substituted it for the corn syrup in this recipe?  Maybe I should add 3 tbsp marmalade??? 

My recipe:  Almond Crunch Candy

3/4 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup sweetened coconut
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt

Combine almonds & coconut and spread in bottom of buttered 9x13 pan. 

In a saucepan, melt butter and blend in remaining ingredients.  Cook without stirring until mixture reaches soft crack stage (290F).  Remove and drizzle over almonds & coconut. Cool, break into pieces, store in air-tight container.   Makes 1 lb of candy.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Maybe. If you have agave syrup I'd use that. It's such a teeny amount I don't even think it would be missed much other than a thickening agent.

Kimberly954
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Orange Marmalade sounds like it would go well. But i am by no means a candy maker so i dont know how that will effect it!

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Quoting ZsMommy:

Maybe. If you have agave syrup I'd use that. It's such a teeny amount I don't even think it would be missed much other than a thickening agent.

Thanks.  I agree ... 1 tbsp is a small amount.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

Orange Marmalade sounds like it would go well. But i am by no means a candy maker so i dont know how that will effect it!

Glad you like the marmalade.  My family cannot decide if they like coconut or not but I have a bag in the pantry ??? LOL!

Kimberly954
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Oh man.....you should throw that coconut on fish or shrimp and use the orange marmalade as a dipping sauce. now THAT sounds like a mighty good dinner!!!!

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kimberly954:

Glad you like the marmalade.  My family cannot decide if they like coconut or not but I have a bag in the pantry ??? LOL!

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Quoting Kimberly954:

Oh man.....you should throw that coconut on fish or shrimp and use the orange marmalade as a dipping sauce. now THAT sounds like a mighty good dinner!!!!

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kimberly954:

The orange dipping sauce is marmalade, soy sauce, and ? (something else, I know it's three ingredients). 

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Love love shredded coconut. I could use it with anything and everything. Last night I made honey mustard coconut chicken strips. My very very picky 4yr old approved of them. Posted the Recipe in the Recipe forum.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kimberly954:

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Corn syrup is used in making candy to help the sugar melt smoothly and keep it from becoming grainy or gritty. If there's corn syrup in the orange marmalade it might be ok, but I'm not sure that would work.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Outback dipping sauce is orange marmalade and Cajun mustard-a coarse grainy mustard. Really good.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kimberly954:

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kimberly954:

The orange dipping sauce is marmalade, soy sauce, and ? (something else, I know it's three ingredients). 

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Have not tried this...hope it works out for you:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)