Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Recipe of the Week: Cranberry Glazed Meatballs

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
  • 14 Replies

This is a great way to use up that can of cranberry sauce you have in the cabinet. To save time, you can also use pre-cooked, frozen meatballs.

Cranberry Glazed Meatballs

Makes: 60 meatballs

Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Cook: 2 to 3 hours (low) or 1 to 1 1/2 hours (high)

1 egg

1/2 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs

1/2 cup dried cranberries, snipped, or golden raisins, snipped

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice

2 pounds uncooked ground chicken or turkey

Nonstick cooking spray

1 16-ounce can jellied cranberry sauce

1 cup bottled barbecue sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For meatballs, in a very large bowl, beat egg with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, dried cranberries or raisins, onion, salt, and cloves or allspice. Add ground chicken or turkey; mix well. Shape into 60 meatballs.

2. Lightly coat a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place meatballs in pan.

3. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until done (165 degrees F).*

4. Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, stir together cranberry sauce and barbecue sauce. Add cooked meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours or on high-heat setting for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. (Meatballs may be kept warm on low-heat setting for up to 1 hour more.) Serve with toothpicks. Makes 60 meatballs.

Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare meatballs as directed through step 2. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed in steps 3 and 4, using the maximum timings to bake and to heat in slow cooker.

*Note: The internal color of a meatball is not a reliable doneness indicator. A poultry meatball cooked to 165 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a meatball, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of meatball.

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Here's a good recipe using dried cranberries.

Cranberry-orange scones with orange glaze

Makes 12 large scones

Scones

2-1/2 cups self-rising flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

Grated zest of 2 oranges

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (which I don't like and just leave out)

1/2 cup (one stick) cold cubed butter

3/4 cup pecan pieces

3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries (such as Craisons)

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1. Combine first 7 ingredients, whisk together to mix.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

3. Using a handheld pastry blender or food processor, cut in butter until the butter is the size of small peas. (Dicing the butter into small chunks first really is helpful.)

4. Stir in pecan pieces and cranberries. Make a well in the center of the dough.

5. Pour whipping cream into center of the well. Blend until dough comes together, but do not overmix. (I used a wooden spoon to stir everything together and my hands a bit at the end.)

6. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half, and form each half into a 6-inch circle. (About a 1/2-inch thick.) Note: You can wrap the dough in plastic wrap at this point, and refrigerate overnight. Cut each circle into 6 pie-shaped wedges (I used a pizza cutter for this). Place 2-inch apart on a greased or parchment-line baking sheet.

7. Bake 15-18 minutes until tops are golden brown and centers of scones test done. Prepare glaze while scones are baking. Note: It may just be my oven, but my scones were done in less than 15 minutes. Set your timer for 10 minutes, and monitor them closely.

8. Remove from oven, and transfer scones to a cooling rack.

Glaze

2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar (mine was not sifted)

Grated zest of 1 orange

2-3 tablespoons orange juice

Start with 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar and orange zest in a small bowl. Add a few drops of orange juice at a time, and stir or whisk constantly to combine. Continue adding orange juice and confectioner's sugar until you have enough glaze, and it's quite thick. Adding the ingredients slowly will keep the glaze from getting lumpy. Do not use too much orange juice.

From The Sweet Magnolias Cookbook

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Yum...love meatballs!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM

No one ever figures out that it's cranberry sauce. lol

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Love that idea~!

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM

YUM!

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

It's like the grape jelly/cocktail weenie recipe

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yes!

Quoting ZsMommy:

Quoting SweetLuci:

It's like the grape jelly/cocktail weenie recipe

periwinkle163
by Mandy on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

Here's a good recipe using dried cranberries.

Cranberry-orange scones with orange glaze

Makes 12 large scones

Scones

2-1/2 cups self-rising flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

Grated zest of 2 oranges

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (which I don't like and just leave out)

1/2 cup (one stick) cold cubed butter

3/4 cup pecan pieces

3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries (such as Craisons)

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1. Combine first 7 ingredients, whisk together to mix.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

3. Using a handheld pastry blender or food processor, cut in butter until the butter is the size of small peas. (Dicing the butter into small chunks first really is helpful.)

4. Stir in pecan pieces and cranberries. Make a well in the center of the dough.

5. Pour whipping cream into center of the well. Blend until dough comes together, but do not overmix. (I used a wooden spoon to stir everything together and my hands a bit at the end.)

6. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half, and form each half into a 6-inch circle. (About a 1/2-inch thick.) Note: You can wrap the dough in plastic wrap at this point, and refrigerate overnight. Cut each circle into 6 pie-shaped wedges (I used a pizza cutter for this). Place 2-inch apart on a greased or parchment-line baking sheet.

7. Bake 15-18 minutes until tops are golden brown and centers of scones test done. Prepare glaze while scones are baking. Note: It may just be my oven, but my scones were done in less than 15 minutes. Set your timer for 10 minutes, and monitor them closely.

8. Remove from oven, and transfer scones to a cooling rack.

Glaze

2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar (mine was not sifted)

Grated zest of 1 orange

2-3 tablespoons orange juice

Start with 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar and orange zest in a small bowl. Add a few drops of orange juice at a time, and stir or whisk constantly to combine. Continue adding orange juice and confectioner's sugar until you have enough glaze, and it's quite thick. Adding the ingredients slowly will keep the glaze from getting lumpy. Do not use too much orange juice.

From The Sweet Magnolias Cookbook

These sound awesome, I love the Paneral Orange scones, so this recipe could be dangerous,lol. 

Kimberly954
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

yummy!!

Kimberly954
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM

cranberry bbq is also good on chicken!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)