Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Salmon Appetizers? EDITED!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

We're hosting NYE, and I got a great cut of salmon today.

I need an appetizer idea. What can I make with this?

I think I am making these, just appetizer-sized, with a spicy dill sauce. Onward, party hostesses! And thank you, ladies!

INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 lbs salmon fillets
1 slice white bread, such as Pepperidge Farm, crusts removed and white part chopped very fine (about 5 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup onion (grated)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves (chopped)
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup Japanese-style bread crumbs (Panko)

Directions:

1. Locate and remove any pin bones from salmon flesh, (see related Quick Tip). Using sharp knife, cut flesh off skin, then discard skin. Chop salmon flesh into 1/4- to 1/3-inch pieces and mix with chopped bread, mayonnaise, onion, parsley, salt, and lemon juice in medium bowl. Scoop a generous 1/4-cup portion salmon mixture from bowl and use hands to form into a patty measuring roughly 2 1/2-inches in diameter and 3/4-inch thick; place on parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining salmon mixture until you have 8 patties. Place patties in freezer until surface moisture has evaporated, about 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, spread flour in pie plate or shallow baking dish. Beat eggs with 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons water in second pie plate or shallow baking dish, and spread bread crumbs in a third. Dip chilled salmon patties in flour to cover; shake off excess. Transfer to beaten egg and, using slotted spatula, turn to coat; let excess drip off. Transfer to bread crumbs; shake pan to coat patties completely. Return now-breaded patties to baking sheet.

3. Heat remaining 1/2 cup vegetable oil in large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking, about 3 minutes; add salmon patties and cook until medium golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes over and continue cooking until medium golden brown on second side, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer cakes to plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil on surface, if desired, about 30 seconds, and then serve immediately, with one of the sauces that follow, if you like.

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I've used smoked salmon lots of different ways for appetizers, but it doesn't sound like you mean smoked, so I think I would just cut it in small pieces, and do teriyaki salmon and then just serve with toothpicks, maybe with a sprig of dill.

SlightlyPerfect
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM

It's a fresh piece. Would it stay on the toothpick?

Quoting SweetLuci:

I've used smoked salmon lots of different ways for appetizers, but it doesn't sound like you mean smoked, so I think I would just cut it in small pieces, and do teriyaki salmon and then just serve with toothpicks, maybe with a srig of dill.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I think if you cut it into large bite-size pieces, then use prepared teyiyaki sauce, or make your own, let marinade about 10 minutes, then broil. Or you could serve it on small baguette toasts if it seems to be falling apart.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

It's a fresh piece. Would it stay on the toothpick?

Quoting SweetLuci:

I've used smoked salmon lots of different ways for appetizers, but it doesn't sound like you mean smoked, so I think I would just cut it in small pieces, and do teriyaki salmon and then just serve with toothpicks, maybe with a srig of dill.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Or maybe just on a platter with tongs for serving?

KaylaMillar
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I'm not a seafood eater so here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I have no idea, but good luck!

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I have not used salmon before but here's a help link I googled.
http://www.food.com/recipes/salmon-appetizer

periwinkle163
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

spicy dill sauce sounds amazing. 

KaylaMillar
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM

those sound good. Let us know how they turn out! 

Kimberly954
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I love salmon! Never had it as an appitizer though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)