Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Cast Iron Care question

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:20 AM
  • 7 Replies

How do you care for your cast iron?? If the food just doesnt wipe out, how do you clean it? Also mine is getting some rust. I dry it when i am done and stick it in the oven after its turned off to finish drying.....why am i still getting rust?

One final question. The skillet has some black thats peeling off. It resembles teflon when it peels off your pan but its cast iron. What is this?? Is it just the "seasoning" layer coming off??

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
02nana07
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Wash it then dry it coat it with crisco and bake it for 20-30 minutes at 400 to season.   This will prevent rust.

Kimberly954
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Does it matter if the bottom side has some rust or should i try to scrub that off?

Quoting 02nana07:

Wash it then dry it coat it with crisco and bake it for 20-30 minutes at 400 to season.   This will prevent rust.

02nana07
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I would scrub that off

Quoting Kimberly954:

Does it matter if the bottom side has some rust or should i try to scrub that off?

Quoting 02nana07:

gmadiane
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

my dad cooked with nothing but cast iron skillets, after washing he always put it on the burner on low to dry

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM

It could be a layer of seasoning coming off. Sometimes this happens if you've applied multiple layers of seasoning, it will create a little flaking, it's nothing to be alarmed about. The other possibility is that the pan was not dried completely one time when put away and microscopic rust that formed under the seasoning is pushing up some of it. Scrub it off.  The best thing you can do is just keep cooking in it. If you have a grill, use it there. Cook onions and peppers  in it, fry bacon in it. Don't cook anything acedic like tomato sauce, wine, vinegar or lemon juice, and nothing with water.  I use hot water and a plastic scrubbie right after I use it and then dry it thoroughly, either by placing it on a burner or in the oven. I also stick  a coffee filter or a sheet of paper towel in it when I store it. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. Just have patience, it takes time.

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I don't use this type cookware but here's a tip I got from someone:  preheat oven to 350 and wipe skillet with light coat of cooking oil and let sit for 3 minutes in the oven or until grease is absorbed into skillet.  Take out and let cool.

suetoo
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Rust is a clue it needs to be scrubbed and re seasoned. Use a tough scrubbie and go at it with determination. Scrub in and out, until you are sure the skillet is smooth to touch. Thoroughly coat entire pan with crisco, wipe off excess and bake for about an hour. I put oven on 350*. I wipe mine clean and add some more crisco after each use then put it on the burner to make sure it is thoroughly dry. Never put in a dishwasher. Your peeling problem is residue of food and crisco. A sign it needs a good scrubbing, until the entire pan has an even, smooth texture. Every hard scrubbing needs a thorough re seasoning. Rinsing and wiping after regular use: just a quick coat of crisco, a brief sit on a low burner, and you should be good to go. I have all my grams skillets and bought a griddle that I love. Happy cooking. 

Ps. They are great for a grill or fireplace, too. Clue is regular coats of crisco.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)