Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Southern traditional New Year’s Day menu.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • 19 Replies
Oven Roasted Pork Chops 
A pig roots forward.   A chicken scratches backwards.  A cow stands still.   Pork symbolizes forward progress.    If I’m feeding lots of folks, I’ll cook a Rosemary Garlic Pork Loin Roast.   Since we only had three today, I opted for pork chops.  Just to make sure I’ve covered the bases, I always use pork seasoning, either ham hocks or ham, in the collards and blackeye peas.  You just can’t be too careful.

Collard Greens and Ham Hocks  
Greens symbolize money.  You can use any kind of greens, it doesn’t have to be collards.  Even cabbage is acceptable.  At least that’s what I think.  If I’ve been wrong all this time, I don’t even want to know.  

Collards can either be the best thing you’ve ever put in your mouth or the worst.  You have to pay attention to the seasoning in collards to make them good.  Making a good stock from ham hocks or ham is something I highly recommend. Add salt as needed and either sugar or honey to balance the bitterness.  Also, strip them off the big vein in the center of the leaf.  That thing is no good.  It’s tough and bitter

Blackeye Peas  Eat blackeye peas for luck.  Some believe that you need to eat 365 peas to solidify your luck.  I don’t count my peas.  I just make sure to eat plenty.  We like our peas served over Basmati rice which isn’t part of the tradition.   We simply like the way  it tastes.

Lacey Cornbread  Cornbread cooked in little medallion shaped pieces represent gold.   As high as gold is, I think I’ll cook lacey cornbread for the next 364 days

http://syrupandbiscuits.com/traditional-southern-new-years-day-menu/

Did you eat your good luck foods today?
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tristansmom74
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Just black eyed peas and pork!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jan. 1, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My baby girl enjoyed her black Eyed Peas and turnip greens
periwinkle163
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Corned beef and cabbage, I think it's pretty much the same reasons as the pork and greens. 

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

(giggles)

We're from PA so it's traditionally pork n sauerkraut

We live in the south now where it's pork n blackeyed peas

We don't make either...Tonight it's pizza and salad (guess that's why our luck s*cks) laughing

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Oh wow never heard of that tradition before

Quoting ZsMommy:

(giggles)

We don't make either...Tonight it's pizza and salad (guess that's why our luck s*cks) laughing

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL-I'm presuming the " Pork n Sauerkraut" tradition-yeah-that's more Northeast Amish/PA Dutch and surrounding states (or any Amish area) tradition

If you mean the pizza and salad-lololol-No-NOT a tradition-that was me saying we're "Non Traditionalists" when it comes to New Years day food laughing

Quoting mylilprincesses: Oh wow never heard of that tradition before

Quoting ZsMommy:

(giggles)

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Yeah, lots of folks I know eat pork and sauerkraut or cabbage on New Year's Day. Some Southerners eat Hoppin' John-blackeyed peas and rice. We had Roast pork, Hoppin' John, collard greens and cornbread. Banana pudding for dessert.

Quoting ZsMommy:

(giggles)

starlight1968
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

my whole life growing up it was pork/sauerkraut until I married hubby-he & kids don't like sauerkraut so I cook cabbage in it's place.  And, yes being in Tx I have to also make the blackeyed peas and cornbread... all were served tonight..yummy

On and I'm from southeastern PA. but pennsylvania dutch heritage...

ZsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Quoting starlight1968:

my whole life growing up it was pork/sauerkraut until I married hubby-he & kids don't like sauerkraut so I cook cabbage in it's place.  And, yes being in Tx I have to also make the blackeyed peas and cornbread... all were served tonight..yummy

On and I'm from southeastern PA. but pennsylvania dutch heritage...

You from down near Philly? Or out near Lancaster? I'm originally from up near Allentown (Lehigh Valley area-but in the burbs,bout 15 min North of Allentown)

delanna6two
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

awww...cute

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Mobile Photo

My baby girl enjoyed her black Eyed Peas and turnip greens

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN