Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Lentils...Need Recipes please

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM
  • 5 Replies

My husband started going to a dietician and we're making some changes,adding some food to our diets that I don't normally make.

I've had lentils "in" things but I've never made them myself-I know they're packed with protein.

So I picked up a bag,but have no clue what to do with them.

I've had them in cous cous,I want to be able to add them to recipes and serve on their own.

What's your favorite way to eat lentils and do you have any recipes to share?

(I did start searching Pinterest last night but I'd like to know what you ladies recommend)

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rmp
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would boil them in half water half chicken broth Add small diced up carrots, chopped onion, cilantro and salt. Yummy!!! They are high in fiber just like beans. You can also add 1/4 tspn of cumin and a ham hock for smoky taste maybe even a whole raw green jalapeno when they are boiling. 

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine are simple and no fuss.
I don't even soak mine, lol!
I cook them in broth.  I first brown up onions and ground lowfat breakfast sausage by Jimmy Dean...the tube and not the pre-sliced.
I just add in whatever I think will taste good once I add in the broth and the lentils.  Garlic powder, italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper.  I've also made it into chili so I let it thicken instead of adding more water/broth at that point.  Since I don't soak them it takes about 40mins instead of 20 to cook them, lol!  My family loves lentils.  Dd prefers them thicker like chili and some of us like it soupy.
Some people add veggies but we don't.  It is all a preference.  Lentils are awesome and quick to cook...no fuss dinner! Good luck!!!

nene_t
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I boil them in water with powder chicken flavor,while they are boiling I cut up some bacon and fry it a bit, when the bacon is cooked but not crispy, add a small can of tomato sauce. Then mix well and add to the lentils. Check for flavor and you may need to add more chicken flavor. That's it. This is my 7 year old daughter's and husband's favorite food.
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

tonight I am using lentils in my veggie burgers, so I thought I would share this

http://cookinwithsuperpickle.blogspot.com/2013/07/copycat-veggie-medley-veggie-burgers.html

suetoo
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Lentil bread

lentil soup made with beef broth n ham 

added to rice, black beans, rotelle and sausage for jambalaya 

mixed with refried beans for tacos

snuck into chili

They come in both red and green varieties, so you could interchange them, too. Happy cooking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)