Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

cake experts need advice for color icing-UPDATE Pic of my cake!!!

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM
  • 2 Replies

So Im trying to decorate a car scene.I'm trying to do black for street, green fro grass and some yellow trim some blue and some red . I'm decorating the trim around the cake blue so I got 

Ready-To-Use Icing Tubes that in blue. but I think it would be too sugary for the grass and other parts of the cake.

1.How to  make color icing?

2. can I use food coloring and brush it on?(like painting) for certain areas only like the black.

3. Can I mix food coloring with this? 

First time decorating an actual theme cake. 

Thank you much in advance,

Sister took this pic for instagram so she picked that weird filter,..anywho I think is not bad for my first cake. I did go crazy on the icing,....so next time  i won't do like layers of icing ...oops!! ...

Love Always,

Angel

typing

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You probably already made your cake but I'm curious so I'm bumping :)

Avarah
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
The decorator icing in a tube has a good consistency for that type of decorating. The problem with it is that it's a chemical substitute for a food product. That being said, other than being very sweet, there's nothing else wrong with it.

There are a bazillion different recipes for decorator's icing, but most are a combination of some type of fat (either butter or shortening), powdered sugar and either milk or water, plus flavoring if you so choose.

For color, there are lots of brands, but most of the decorators I know prefer the americolor brand. Speaking of chemical nightmares, I always try to use as little food coloring as I can.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)