Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

I need recipes

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hi ladies, I'm looking for new recipes to try. I am a very busy mom of eight kids and don't always have the time to prepare a meal. Could someone suggest recipes to try for me and the kids? My husband works long hours and usually isn't home when we eat, I always put a plate aside for him for when he gets home. I would really appreciate some quick recipes to feed a large family.

~Michelle~

Mom of eight children
with our ninth child due 6-19-2014 

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I don't know about you but doubling a recipe does not work for me.  I have big pots & pans but I use my average size ones most often.  Two skillet meals are easier to prepare than one big pot of it.  We eat family style at the table ... no one is making individual plates for all. 

This is such a neat thing for making taco's.  Buy a small napkin holder for everyone.  (little plain napkin holders cost a dollar or less.)  Will hold a hard shell taco in place while it is being filled ... it also works for pita pockets. 

mylilprincesses
by Paula on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM
If you have a crockpot it can be very handy for busy moms. :)
aj_mom
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Chili you can put it in the crockpot and it will be ready when dinner rolls around

caro100
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:08 AM

One of my families favorites is hamburger hash.  You take a lb of hamburger or in your case 2 or 3 and 1 medium to large onion and 6 to eight potatoes depending on the ages of your children and their appetites. Throw the hamburger into a frying pan and starting browning your meat. In the mean time peel and chop your onion and throw that in the pan .  Peel your potatoes and chop them into small pieces, throw them in with hamburger and onions, salt and pepper to taste.  Put a lid on the skillet and kind of steam your potato/meat mixture for about 15 minutes, then take off lid and finish cooking putting a little brown on the potatos.  Toss a salad and butter some slices of bread and voila dinner is served in under an hour.

momtomy7kids
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Thank you so much for the suggestions ladies, I'm expecting my 9th child in June and keep very busy with the kids so I don't have a lot of time to do time consuming things, I like making dishes that are quick to make.

~Michelle~

Mom of eight children
with our ninth child due 6-19-2014 

AmosFarkle
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Holy cow, Mama!  You have my utmost respect.  I just can't imagine.

I used to cook for a church every Wednesday.  The congregation didn't want to have to cook so they decided to hire someone to do it for them.  My job was to shop, cook, and stay within a budget.  They paid according to the budget they set.

So....I said all of that to say this:  Go do some research about cooking for a crowd.  Granted, I was cooking for 100 and you won't be doing that until you're a grandma...hahaha!....but there are great sites to serve 10-15.  I even found great recipes from our military sites.  Instead of doubling, you'd cut it down some.  Look at sites through the Chamber of Commerce in your favorite cities.  A lot of churches and civic clubs publish recipes there.  

family in the van

babynurse244
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Aren't there websites where you prep monthly, stuck everything in a large ziplock and freeze it? I only have 4 kids (all under 5) and I've taken a look at them but never tried it. I think the way it works is you prep and freeze what uou need for several dinners, freeze until you need it and then put it in the crockpot and there's dinner.
LisaRaygbor
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Hi even I am a mommy of  4 kids and this recipe is a hit among  my  cuties. Try this quick to make and delicious red pasta. You can make it in minutes and  I m sure your family will get addicted to it very soon. Boil water in a saucepan and immerse the tomatoes in it. Turn off the heat and wait for 30 seconds. Drain the water. Peel the skin and cut the tomatoes in small pieces. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté garlic until it turns translucent, not brown. Add onion and cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Now add tomatoes, sauté them and then cover. add red pepper flakes. Cover the saucepan and cook for 25 to 35 minutes. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, and drain the water completely. Mix the boiled pasta with the tomato sauce and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.

mrsbusch
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Taco Soup

Ingredients...
1 lb extra lean ground beef, frozen
1 900mL carton low sodium chicken broth
1 680mL can tomato sauce
1 540mL can red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 1/2 c frozen corn
1 large onion, chopped
8-10 cups water
1 T Taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning (use more if you want more of a kick) 
1-2 c rice (1 c if you like your soup thinner and 2 c if you prefer it nice and thick)

Directions...
In a large pot, over medium heat, start cooking frozen ball of meat... Breaking it off as it starts to cook. Add broth and continue cooking until meat is completely defrosted and broken apart.
Add the tomato sauce, beans, corn, onion, water and seasoning... Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
Add the rice and stir well. Continue to cook for 25-30 minutes, (stirring often so rice doesn't stick) or until rice is soft.
Enjoy!!!

Homemade Taco Seasoning: 
1 tablespoon chili powder ; 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ; 1/4 teaspoon onion powder ;1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes ;1/4 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon paprika ; 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin 1 teaspoon sea salt ; 1 teaspoon black pepper 
Direction: In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻✿ ✻¸.* FOLLOW ME ♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿
https://www.facebook.com/tonja.zickefoosebusch *✻✿
♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿

mrsbusch
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Lazy Eggs

Good morning! I highly recommend you try these out the next time you are craving something different for your breakfast. They’d even be great for a brunch.

Directions:
1. Spray each muffin well with nonstick spray
2. Place a slice of ham in the bottom of each muffin well
3. Place about a teaspoon or so of diced tomatoes on top of the ham
4. Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over the tomatoes
5. Break one egg into each spot
6. Sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper on each
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until the yolks are as firm as you desire and the whites are cooked through.

✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
(¯`✻´¯)
`*.¸.*✻✿ ✻¸.* FOLLOW ME ♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿
https://www.facebook.com/tonja.zickefoosebusch *✻✿
♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿´¯`*•.¸¸✿♥✿

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN