Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

Side dish recipes/ideas

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:44 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm looking for some new side dishes. My husband and 14yo son are very picky eaters so I usually just do corn and potatoes as side dishes. But I'm so tired of it. They have both finally agreed to at least try new things if I make them so I need some ideas. Please help!

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss05
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Glazed Carrots,or carrots with catalina dressing, squash with butter/parsley

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Since they are picky and only eat corn & potatoes, keep it simple.  I would switch it up with green beans and stuffing. 

A melody of cauliflower, broccoli, & carrots lightly seasoned might be another good one to try. 

ZsMommy
Is it Saturday yet? I want to sleep in! (lol)
Today at 5:19 AM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Tanya-how bout a list of what they WILL eat-easier to suggest side dishes from ingredients then guess  :)

my4kidsrock2
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:12 PM

They will eat whatever I make for them. We can't do peanuts or seafood because of allergies and no one likes mushrooms, but aside from that they will at least try it.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Tanya-how bout a list of what they WILL eat-easier to suggest side dishes from ingredients then guess  :)

ZsMommy
Is it Saturday yet? I want to sleep in! (lol)
Today at 5:19 AM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I asked cuz in the post you mentioned they were very picky.

Quoting my4kidsrock2:

They will eat whatever I make for them. We can't do peanuts or seafood because of allergies and no one likes mushrooms, but aside from that they will at least try it.

Quoting ZsMommy:

my4kidsrock2
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
They are. But they have agreed to try new things with an open mind.

Quoting ZsMommy:

I asked cuz in the post you mentioned they were very picky.

Quoting my4kidsrock2:

Quoting ZsMommy:

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd try simply making roasted veggies.  I do potatoes that way.  Also, fresh green beans are awesome that way. Broccoli and asparagus are great that way. 
Maybe try looking up orzo or risotto recipes.  Do they like peas?  You could make pea salad.  Fried rice.  I've pinned a few Asian flavored pasta so if they like those flavors that would be an idea.
Baked beans homemade are good too.
Black bean corn salad
Cucumber salad
I'd just go to food.com and put in an ingredient and scan through what you think would be good to make.
Pinterest is a great place to find recipes but so is food.com.  You can search sides on food.com
Good luck!

aj_mom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:21 PM

sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, rice, noodles, mac 'n' cheese.

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

2 boxes chopped frozen broccoli, thawed and drained (I like to use a mixture of chopped and florets)

2 eggs, beaten

2/3 c. mayonnaise

2 T. chopped onion

1 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 can cream of mushroom soup.

MIX all together in a large bowl; transfer into a 9x13 greased baking dish.

FOR TOPPING:

Combine 1 c. bread crumbs with 1/4 c. melted butter.  Sprinkle over casserole.

BAKE at 400 degrees for 20 min. or until bubbly.

AmosFarkle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries

makes approximately 8 servings

Ingredients

3 zucchini (1 lb.)

1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 packet Shake & Bake Coating Mix

1 small egg

Method:

Heat oven to 450ºF.

Trim the zucchini -cut crosswise in half, then cut each piece into 1/4-inch sticks. Add cheese to coating mix in shaker bag; shake gently to combine.

Whisk egg in medium bowl. Add zucchini; toss to coat. Use tongs to place 1/4 of the zucchini in shaker bag; close bag and shake to evenly coat. Spread onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining zucchini.

Bake for 12 to 13 min. or until golden brown, turning the baking tray 180 degrees after 7 min to facilitate even baking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)