Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

high-protein food/snack ideas needed

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hey everyone!  It's me again!  Wanted to run something by you all and see what your thoughts are.

Here's the scoop.  My son, 9 yrs old, is a high-energy kid who must have a super high metabolism.  He runs on empty pretty quick and when the low blood sugar thing happens he gets pretty darn grouchy, not to mention he runs out of stamina.  He's on a soccer team (practices/games weekly) and goes to swim lessons (1 day/week).  I've come to the conclusion that he's in need of high-protein foods to keep his stamina and energy up... definitely for sports, but probably through school as well.  He's not a big fan of nuts, except in the form of peanut butter, which rules out a lot of trail mixes. Here's what I've bought so far:  greek yogurt, cheese, peanut butter (for sandwiches as well as "to-go" packs), and trail mixes (with various nuts, dried fruits, and chocolate pieces).  Fruit/veggies with peanut butter and/or cheese is also an option.  I did some searches for "high protein snacks for kids" and did print out a few recipes for granola bars and healthy no-bake cookies. 

Any and all suggestions about what to make/bake/buy would be very helpful.  Thanks!

by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hershey6
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Hummus can be a good protein- either with veggies or maybe a few pita chips
k1ara
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I thought about hummus, but I'm pretty sure that's one of the foods he's picky about.  Too bad, hummus is good stuff!

Quoting hershey6: Hummus can be a good protein- either with veggies or maybe a few pita chips

caro100
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Greek yogurt.  More protein than eggs. I get the no sugar kind, but with your son, wouldn't worry about it.

suetoo
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Breakfast taco, wrap soft tortilla around scrambled egg and cheese. Add black beans and avacado slices for a meal on the go. 

Beachdeprived
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM

What about an instant drink mix that can be mixed with milk? Even like a Carnation instant breakfast thing...doesn't have to be for breakfast. It looks like one packet is 13 grams of protein and if you mix it with milk, that's even more. Great source of vitamins and minerals too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)