Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

What are some simple but cheap meals to cook?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM
  • 6 Replies
I'm so sick of cooking baked chicken with Cannes veggies and such. I'm not an expert at cooking I just want some simple but healthy meals that my kids will enjoy. There kind of getting bored with foods. My bf is also Hispanic and I love Mexican food but I love hibachi too. Any ideas? Thanks
by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Christi8226
by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be also getting tired of chicken.  I have an idea buy a pork shoulder roast they are pretty big hopefully you can find one on sale as well and I usually wait until they are I don't like to pay anymore than $1.29 lb.  Buy one that is about 5-7lbs.  Put this in a crockpot with seasoning on it like a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning is good also.  Cook this on high for 7-8 hours 2 hours before throw in some baby carrots and red potatoes.  You got yourself a meal right there.  Now for your leftover pork you can use your crockpot again and make mole in there with this recipe:

1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed French Onion Soup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate pieces
12 flour tortillas (8-inch), warmed
6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Stir the soup, water, chili powder, brown sugar, cumin and cinnamon in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the pork and turn to coat.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or until the pork is fork-tender. Remove the pork to a cutting board. Using 2 forks, shred the pork. Add the chocolate to the cooker and stir until melted. Return the pork to the cooker.

Place about 1/2 cup pork mixture onto half of each tortilla. Top with the tomatoes and cilantro. Fold the tortillas over the filling.

• My whole family loves this.  And your pork roast gives you at least 2 meals. 

la1118
    by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    How about spaghetti with meat sauce?
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    la1118
    by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    3 moms liked this
    I like making chicken tacos in the crockpot. Put a couple boneless chicken breasts in and pour a can of cream of chicken soup over them. Add a can of rotel tomatoes and a packet of chicken taco seasoning. Cook on low for 8 hours or so until the meat is tender and you can shred it. Make tacos using flour or corn tortillas, add letyuce, cheese, whatever you like. The leftovers also make good enchiladas.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    redheadstar
    by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM

mmmmm  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spanish-Style-Chicken-with-Saffron-Rice-Arroz-con-Pollo-104549

karlamousse4
    by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    If you have a pie pan... Make a chicken pot pie! Im doing one tonight actually. I know youre tires of chicken but if its all you can afford the pie is so dif you dont even notice the chicken. For one pie, cube 2 large potatos and about 4 carrots, then cut one onion up and boil them. Make one or two packets of powdered gravy (depending on if your family likes gravy a lot) in a seperate pot. Add salt, pepper, garlic, and a little butter to two chicken breasts and weather individually in foil and bake until cooked. then use a bit of cooking spray in the pie pan and put first crust down. Drain veggies, add salt and pepper. Take chicken out, cube it and add it to the veggies.then put the whole mix in the crust and poor as much gravy as you want on top. Then put the top crust on and pop it in the oven according to the pie crust instructions :)
    taKENheart
    by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 2:10 AM

Lol, I get sick of chicken.
    Do some beef or shrimp kebobs and fried rice.  The fried rice doesn't have to always be Asian flavored ...try making it with Mexican flavors too.

As far as cheap meals that's going to be a preference.  You could make your own hamburger helper meals homemade.  I love beef stroganoff with egg noodles.
    You could do lentils, potato soup, breakfast for dinner or different wraps for dinner.  You could even do soft tacos with cole slaw or kim chee on top.  
    Shepherd's pie or a pot pie is good too.

You can do this!  I just don't know what you like so suggestions are hard.  Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN