Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms

How Creative Are You in the Kitchen?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 124 Replies
As a busy mom, we all have our crowd pleasing meals in the regular rotation. How important is it for you to change up everyday meals with new flavors and ideas? How do you do this?

Tell us! How Creative Are You in the Kitchen?

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faire_jour
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM

My name is Melissa, I am happily married to my husband of 15 years and we have one daughter together, who is 11. We live in St. Louis (moved here from Utah a few years ago, and are hoping to go back!) 

My daughter is a very picky eater, in fact, we had to do feeding therapy when she was younger! I also lost a massive amount of weight (over 120 lbs!) and am obsessed with food! I am always looking for fun and healthy food and love trying out new ways to prepare things. I am very old school with my cooking (am slow cooking 5 lbs of dry beans and just ate some homemade bagels) but sometimes get busy and need some help! 

I love trying new recipes and am always looking for ways to change up old staples into something new and interesting. (Like this week we made shepherds pie with spicy sausage instead of ground beef and sweet potatoe mashed potatoes instead of regular. It was great!) 

I'm excited for this chance and am looking forward to the fun!

notjstasocermom
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM
We have four living at home now. Myself and dh and 2 girls, they are 16 and 7
My lasagna and tater tot casserole are family favorites for dinner
I love to cook and try new recipes
I try to do a new recipe once a month other thsn that we still to our faves
My youngest can be picky but i try to sneak in veggies in her favorite foods
We do at least 1 or 2 new ones a monthr
gypsy_rose
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Hi there. My name is Kandy. I have 5 children and we live in the state of New hampshire. We LOVE to cook. SOme of the families favorites are corn chowder, baked chicken and Mac -n- cheese (baked). I realy enjoy cooking and trying out new recipies. I am well known for making HUGE meals for no reason besides the fact I wanted to cook. I love veriaty and don't like to do the same ol same ol. I want somethign diffrent all the time. 

I have one son who is a very picky eater. LOL the only way he will eat carrots is dipped in PB. 

I try new recipies all the time. It is a great joy for me. I used to HATE corn chowder until I found a REALY good recipie for it!

Hottmomma607
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Hello, I'm Trica married, 3kids.
My youngest son and daughter are picky eaters, I like to try to switch things up sometimes. But sometimes I feel like we are in a dinner rut! I do love cooking, not all the time. It makes me happy when my family is well fed.
sm1bm3
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Hello my name is Ali. My family includes my hubby, my son Jon 8, my Stepson Vince 7, my daughter Gwen 7, and my son Dmytri 2. We live in California.

Some of my family's favorites are pot roast, mashed potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce, chicken, spaghetti, and cold cut sandwiches.

I love cooking and coming up with new ideas for old classics. New combination of seasonings or a different marinade can change the direction of the whole meal.

Jon and Gwen will eat pretty much anything. DH is picky about some foods, such as corn. Vince is very picky about what he eats. Dmytri won't eat vegetables or anything he thinks might be vegetables (honeydew because it is green).

I love trying new recipes. I'm always on the lookout for different recipes and ideas to add another option for meals.
Rosebud27aj
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm married with 2 boys. I'm from mass. My youngest is extremely picky. I like to try new things out and switch it up a bit. I love cooking and baking also. I enjoy cooking with my dh and my oldest loves to help out too.

Jortess
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM

We are a family of four. Myself DH, DS and DD. They are 16 and 12 and probably the pickiest eaters on the planet. We are from NH, but currently live in NC.

They love the meal they call "Slop" because apparently that is what it looks like. It consists of red potatoes, bacon, onions and chicken with several spices cooked in a roasting pan. 

I love "experimenting" which is how "slop" came. I use to stuff chicken and put potatoes on the side, slop was easier. I am also known for my potato salad, which is of course by accident. I am always open to new ideas, but I find just playing around in the kitchen with different foods works amazingly well.

I'm looking forward to this, as I already have some great ideas to try it out on. 

wandep
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Hi, my name is Pam. Hubby and I have been married for 13 years and live in Florida. We have 2 kids a girl and a boy ages 8 and 10 years old. Both of my kids are picky eaters so it is hard to come up with new dishes that everyone will like. Our to go to favorite meals are breakfast items for supper and tacos. We usually have the same old boring meals every week. It will be fun to try a few new recipes. I don't really love cooking but will do it for my family so that we can have healthy meals. 

fraujones
by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Hi moms! We're a family of four living in a rural town close to the Canadian border. I have an 8 year old and a 2 year old DD. DH and I are adventurous eaters. We love trying new recipes. However, my kids are not always on board. My oldest is very picky and it can be frustrating. 

We've been grilling a lot lately. I say "we," but my DH does most of the cooking. I love to cook too, but he's home more than I am in the summer. 

Lately grilled corn on the cob, squash, and kabobs have been the favorites in our house. I like to pin recipes on Pinterest, but I don't always get around to trying them. 

Here's my tooddler trying corn on the cob for the first time last summer:

Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Hello :) I'm Angela, my husband and I have 5 kids, ages 14, 12, 9, 7, and 3! We live near Raleigh, North Carolina. I love cooking and creating food for my family, and it helps that my family enjoys my cooking! My 3 year old always says "Mom, you're the best at cooking dinner!" That makes cooking for them even sweeter! I enjoy trying new recipes, and can usually tell if a recipe will be a hit, or a miss, just reading it. Some of the usual crowd pleaders are meatballs, tacos, burgers, pulled pork, and one of the more recent family favorites is buffalo chicken pasta, which we had last night....and just so happens to contain a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix! Everyone loves it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)