Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husband won't eat my cooking, only eat his mama's food

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM
  • 20 Replies

When we initially got married, my husband told me not to cook like his mom (meaning he didn't like it).

Now, few years later, his mom is visiting and cooking. Everything he said he didn't like to eat, he is eating now. He says it is because he likes his mom's cooking just like everyone else does (huh??). And as a child, he didn't like his mom's cooking, but now he does.

I made potatoes today and refused to try them. He said in front of his mom, "No. I don't like potatoes. I only like them if my mom makes them."  What pissed me off is that he didn't even try them this time (granted he has tried them before and didn't like them much). 

Atleast according to me and my family, they taste pretty good cos that's the way we cook potatoes.His mom cooks it a different way, but to not even try what I made?

I feel hurt and humiliated. Ladies, thoughts?

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:09 PM
OMG. I have no advice except to tell him to stop being a sissy. Eek.
taKENheart
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I'd tell him that it hurts your feelings when he won't even give something a try.  Also, how it humiliates you in front of his mom when he makes comments like that.  I don't think there is much you can do besides communicating your feelings with him.

What kind of potatoes are we talking about?  
Maybe her cooking has improved since he was a kid or his taste has changed. 

othermom
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:21 PM

That is aough one. It would hurt my feelings, but people do have different tastes

Alexsi1
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I'd be really upset. That's just really rude of him to do.

Tigress22304
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I went through something similiar with MY DH.I told him he had 2 choices-either go and live with Mommy since he loved her food soooo much or he could be a man and suck it up.

My MIL can NOT cook-she has 2 cooking settings-raw and burnt extra crispy.

First off-MIL is not allowed to cook in my house -this woman has burnt pots boiling water for crying out loud.Refuses to cook with spices or any flavorings.

I went to culinary school for 2 yrs. I know how to cook. He finally got called out by his son and ex wife over my meatloaf....he tried it-and hated it because it didn't taste like moms.

His ex said somethings I will not repeat-but he got is ass handed to him.

Now-here we are 4 yrs later-he will only eat MY cooking and is quite happy with every meal I make.

ablackdolphin
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
That's when I would turn all cooking over to him!!
Saphira1207
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM

This

If he dislikes your cooking that much then he can do the cooking himself.  He's a big boy, after all, and should be able to care for himself anyway.

Quoting ablackdolphin: That's when I would turn all cooking over to him!!

Beachdeprived
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:34 PM

If he said that in front of his mom, I probably would have kicked his @ss. How insulting to you as his wife to say that. I'm a rather boisterous person anyway and could care a less what my MIL thinks so I would have said right there in front of her... "Then perhaps you should go live with your mommy again!" I would just flat out tell  him it sounded like something a 3 year old would say and that he completely insulted you and dissed you in front of him mom (I believe that is in the Guide to Being a Good Husband manual....never diss your wife in front of your mom!!!  LOL ) . He should have tried them whether he thought he would like them or not.

proudmommy690
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Wow what a jerk. Tell him go live with his mom then...lol
Angela4boys
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Oh my gosh.., I'd be pissed too! Id tell him I hope he only likes sex with his mom too! I think my husband would get the hint real quick, and try the damn potatoes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)