‘Surprise Inside’ Cupcakes Are Gorgeous, Fun & Super Easy
You have to check out these fantastic party treats -- "surprise inside" cupcakes. They're cakes filled with little candies or sprinkles. And here's the best part -- you don't need any special equipment to make them! We got the recipe from U.K. baking brand Dr. Oetker, which makes these cool edible cupcake liners (not for sale in the U.S., yet, boo hoo!). But you can use any liners and, for that matter, any cupcake recipe. You create the "surprise inside" after the cupcakes are finished baking. Read on to find out how!
Surprise Inside Cupcakes adapted from Dr. Oetker
Makes 6 cupcakes
- 4 1/2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour
- Frosting and sprinkles to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange cupcake liners spaced apart on a baking tray or in a muffin tin.
- Put the margarine or butter, sugar, vanilla, and egg in a bowl. Sift the flour on top and then beat all the ingredients together using an electric whisk until well blended.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake liners. Smooth the tops and bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes until risen, lightly golden, and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate when completely cooled. Using a small spoon, scoop out a piece of sponge from the center of each cake and fill with sprinkles or small candies. Replace the scooped out cake on top, trimming if necessary, to snugly fit the top of the cake again.
- Frost the tops of the cupcakes and top with more sprinkles or candy.
Image via Dr. Oetker