Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes for Busy Moms Recipes for Busy Moms
What are you ladies cooking today?
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Replies (21-26):
Tigress22304
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM

:) yes it was!

Quoting ScrChk23:

Sounds like a good day of eats!

Quoting Tigress22304:

For breakfast it was waffles with fruit

Lunch was cold cut sandwiches with sunchips

Dinner was homemade meatball sandwiches (omg so yummy)

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Sure!  I hope you like peanut butter, lol.
*notes- I leave out the dates though.  Also, use a glass to press it all down in the dish.  Just spray the bottom with some Pam and press it all down...this will make it easier to compact it into a bar.  Dh likes a little extra peanut butter and honey for his.

http://minimalistbaker.com/healthy-5-ingredient-granola-bars/

Healthy 5-Ingredient Granola Bars

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Healthy, no bake granola bars with just 5 ingredients and a sweet, crunchy texture. Peanut butter and honey complement each other perfectly in this ideal portable breakfast or snack.
Author:
Recipe type: Snack
Serves: 10 bars
Ingredients
  • 1 cup packed dates, pitted (deglet nour or medjool)*
  • 1/4 cup honey (or sub maple syrup or agave for vegan option)
  • 1/4 cup creamy salted natural peanut butter or almond butter
  • 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, loosely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten free for GF eaters)
  • optional additions: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, vanilla, etc.
Instructions
  1. Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain (about 1 minute). It should form a "dough" like consistency. (mine rolled into a ball)
  2. Optional step: Toast your oats in a 350 degree oven for 15-ish minutes or until slightly golden brown. Otherwise, leave them raw - I just prefer the toasted flavor.
  3. Place oats, almonds and dates in a bowl - set aside.
  4. Warm honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
  5. Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to an 8x8 dish or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily. (A loaf pan might work, but will yield thicker bars.)
  6. Press down until uniformly flattened. Cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and let set in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden.
  7. Remove bars from pan and chop into 10 even bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. I kept mine in the freezer to keep them extra fresh, but it isn't necessary.
Notes
*If your dates don't feel sticky and moist, soak them in water for 10 minutes then drain before processing. This will ultimately help hold the bars together better.
Quoting ScrChk23:

I could make the granola bars.  Those sound good.  Can you post/send the recipe, please?

Quoting taKENheart:

I can't eat breakfast right when I wake up either but this diet wants me to eat within 30mins.  I have heard that within the first 45mins is acceptable though.  It is supposed to be better for your metabolism.I am NOT a morning person...the more sleep the better, lol.Could you make you some homemade breakfast granola bars?  I make them for dh and they only have 5ingredients in them.  Easy to whip up.

Quoting ScrChk23:

I like both.  I needc to eat healthier.  I mainly need to have a breakfast that I can eat in the car.  I am not a person who can get up and eat breakfast.  I need to be up for about 20-30 minutes.  And getting up that much earlier is not my idea of fun.  :)

Quoting taKENheart:

I'm not a big raspberry or oatmeal fan but I am trying to eat healthier.  I typically skip breakfast and I know that's not good for me.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Breakfast sounds great!!

Quoting taKENheart:

This is my menu for today...B: Raspberry studded oatmealSnack: roasted sweet potato friesL: Creamy leek & cauliflower soupSnack: Deviled eggs (no mayo)D: Turkey & bell pepper rice 

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting taKENheart:

This is my menu for today...B: Raspberry studded oatmealSnack: roasted sweet potato friesL: Creamy leek & cauliflower soupSnack: Deviled eggs (no mayo)D: Turkey & bell pepper rice 

That sounds good

ScrChk23
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I do.  Thank you!

Quoting taKENheart:

Sure!  I hope you like peanut butter, lol.*notes- I leave out the dates though.  Also, use a glass to press it all down in the dish.  Just spray the bottom with some Pam and press it all down...this will make it easier to compact it into a bar.  Dh likes a little extra peanut butter and honey for his.http://minimalistbaker.com/healthy-5-ingredient-granola-bars/

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Healthy, no bake granola bars with just 5 ingredients and a sweet, crunchy texture. Peanut butter and honey complement each other perfectly in this ideal portable breakfast or snack.
Author:
Ingredients
  • optional additions: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, vanilla, etc.
Instructions
  1. Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain (about 1 minute). It should form a "dough" like consistency. (mine rolled into a ball)
  2. Optional step: Toast your oats in a 350 degree oven for 15-ish minutes or until slightly golden brown. Otherwise, leave them raw - I just prefer the toasted flavor.
  4. Warm honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout.
  5. Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to an 8x8 dish or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily. (A loaf pan might work, but will yield thicker bars.)
  6. Press down until uniformly flattened. Cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and let set in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden.
  7. Remove bars from pan and chop into 10 even bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. I kept mine in the freezer to keep them extra fresh, but it isn't necessary.
Notes
*If your dates don't feel sticky and moist, soak them in water for 10 minutes then drain before processing. This will ultimately help hold the bars together better.
Quoting ScrChk23:

I could make the granola bars.  Those sound good.  Can you post/send the recipe, please?

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Oh good!  You are welcome.  I should have told you that I use those different dried craisins.  They have cherry and pomegranite, regular craisins and I think blueberry. This last time I also got some raisins too.  Also, you can change up the nuts you use.  Last time I used pecans but I'm sure the almonds or walnuts would be the better choice.
Hope you like them. 

Quoting ScrChk23:

I do.  Thank you!

Quoting taKENheart:

Sure!  I hope you like peanut butter, lol.*notes- I leave out the dates though.  Also, use a glass to press it all down in the dish.  Just spray the bottom with some Pam and press it all down...this will make it easier to compact it into a bar.  Dh likes a little extra peanut butter and honey for his.http://minimalistbaker.com/healthy-5-ingredient-granola-bars/

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Ingredients
Instructions
Notes
Quoting ScrChk23:

taKENheart
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Quoting othermom:

Quoting taKENheart:

That sounds good

Thanks!  The turkey and bell pepper rice was the best that day.  I was not sure it would be since it's in this new "diet" book I'm trying out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)