Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kmart Layaway is TERRIBLE

Posted by   + Show Post

I have only used Kmart layaway ONCE and I will NEVER use it again. I put a few things for my oldest first christmas and put about $50 dollars down for the first payment and when I went back to pay more I was told that I didnt have anything on layaway and that the receipt I had was fraudulant. They not only lost my stuff but I lost my money. It was BAD.

Did you have a baby BOY in August 2009? Were you due in August 2009 with a BOY? If so join this group http://www.cafemom.com/group/august2009boys

Maryah~ proud mommy to Destiny Maryah {May 15, 2004}; Jayde Nicole {Apr 8, 2008}; and Ian Kaspar {Jul 30, 2009}

by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Replies (11-19):
KyliesMommy0407
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Oh wow that sucks!  The last time I did a lay-a-way it was at a Wal-Mart and I swore I'd never do it again.  I went a few days before my pick up date to try to avoid the rush.  BIG MISTAKE!  It was a mad house and I had to pay at the desk then go clear across the store to the fabric department where their stock doors were and stand there for an hour and a half waiting for them to go out to the bins, find my stuff and call my name.  We were all standing there practically vibrating when someone would bring a box out!  I was disgusted.

PrincessSiggy.gif Princess Siggy picture by MelissZ

Lindasmama
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I plan on using layaway this year and kmart is the only option now that walmart no longer has layaway.I hope you get your problem resolved and this isnt happening alot.

MrsDavid
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I do hope you get this resolved!

Kmart is the only place near me that does layaway anymore as well.  I had hoped to take advantage of that this year. 

Stepmothering is hard, find REAL support here: 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/30383

Are you a step mother raising your step children?  http://www.cafemom.com/group/imraisingherkid

Catrin2009
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM

So far I've had good luck with Layaway.

However when I was a little girl my Mom laid a coat away for a Christmas present, when she went back to pay on it. They told her that she was late on payments (She had the recipet to prove she wasn't) and that her item was put back, not only that they refused to refund her money. She did contact Corp and they issued a refund, and a gift card.

EmmaGracesMom08
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM

At the beginning of this month I went to my local Kmart and placed items on layaway for my one year old for Christmas.  A little over a week after that I left for vacation forgetting to go into the store to make my payment early.  Two days after my first payment was due I received an automated phone message reminding me of my due payment (according to my layway you have up until 7 days after the due date to make the payment).  Being 2,000 miles away from the store my layaway was created at I remembered that Kmart had recently started the online layway program.  I went to the Kmart website registered typed in my layway contract and store # and up came my layaway with all the items I had placed on layaway, I also noticed the girl that rung up the items charged me twice for one of the toys.  I clicked on make a payment and chose to pay the minimum amount due $37.32 making it a total of $60.00 I had spent on this layway so far.  I noticed paypal was a payment option so I chose to use that instead of going upstairs to grab my credit card.  I thought everything was fine since the $37.32 was taking from my bank account with the summary being Kmart Corp.  Once I got home I logged onto the Kmart website to see when my next payment was due except the store had cancelled my layaway for non-payment.  I called the store and the girls in layway practically told me I was a liar and that online payments were not possible.  I was redirected to the customer service number.   After being on the phone for over an hour the man that I was talking to had said the people who he was talking to from the store seemed to not know anything and that the stores general manager needed to contact me within 48 hours.  It has been 48 hours and I have yet to received a phone call so if I don't get it by the end of the day I will be calling customer service back and according to them my case will be reported to corporate.  After this is sorted out I will not be shopping at Kmart or Sears again. 

ColieO
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I've never used it, but my mom and a good friend have both had major problems with it. Stuff that was put on layaway not being kept on layaway, prices being raised on the products they put in layaway, so even after they assumed it was paid off, it wasn't. It's a joke. I'll pass.

tretresmom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I have used Kmart layaway quite a few times & I have never had a problem.  Sorry that has happened to you. 

queeniamissy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I've never had an issue either.  I'm sorry that happened to you, hopefully you can get it fixed!

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Most of the K-Marts in our area have closed, and the ones that are left don't seem to have much merchandise. I hate to go to WalMart, don't like the superstore layouts and hate the crowds. I usually shop Target, but they don't have lay away. Wish K Mart was more active around here.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN